Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I’m new here but have been around this site for a while ,
I have a 1995 land cruiser with a 4BTA the aftercooler routing is setup strange , I picked this project up from someone else . One of the lines from the aftercooler comes out under cylinder 1 next to the T stat housing and routes up to the aftercooler , the issue I’m having is the way it’s routed it touches the exhaust manifold and is melting the hose, does anyone have a diagram or pictures or info on how I can reroute or fix this issue , I can’t come straight out because the AC compressor and the alternator are mounted next to it . Excuse my poor drawing but the pictures should explain, also the diagram shows the 90* bend that I’m working with . I’m tempted to try and intercooler it and scrap this stupid aftercooler setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I’ll just order the correct piping and cut or bend if needed. It’s nice to know I wasn’t missing something big here ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you. I called my local dealer to see if they can get a hold of those parts , definitely not going to be cheap , but I would rather fix a few hoses than to have to get rid of the aftercooler. I personally am happy with the aftercooler even though I know the intercooler has its benefits.. ordering overseas will be the last resort , especially with everything getting stuck in ports. I’m surprised these parts aren’t more available considering how much these engines are used ,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the knowledge! Out of curiosity I know it’s been spoken about a ton already but, how is the aftercooler more efficient than the intercooler when the aftercooler only cools the air to what the engine/coolant are running @ 180-200? When an intercooler is getting ambient air ? That’s the only thing I’m struggling with , I’m about to add an egt/boost gauge because I’m concerned that with my new larger injectors / modified VE that the aftercooler will struggle to keep up . Again, I really appreciate all the help I’ve gotten so quickly !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m going to see where I’m at after I install my gauges in the next week or two, I’m completely happy with the power I’m getting now so hopefully they won’t be too bad to where I need to switch to and intercooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts