Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post here. Forgive me if this question has been beaten to death, but I was unable to get a clear answer using the search function.
I know that you can use a 6bt manifold plate and cut it down, weld a seam and mill it to fit a 4bt so that you can easily add a grid heater. But, is it possible to use a 4bta plate to accomplish the same thing without the welding and milling. And, what intake tube should I use? I understand that there is a long one and a short one. The 4bt is going into an fj60 with an h55f transmission.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
This is my first post here. Forgive me if this question has been beat to death, but I was unable to get a clear answer using the search function.
I know that you can use a 6bt manifold plate and cut it down, weld a seam and mill it to fit a 4bt so that you can easily add a grid heater. But, is it possible to use a 4bta plate to accomplish the same thing without the welding and milling. And, what intake tube should I use? I understand that there is a long one and a short one. The 4bt is going into an fj60 with an h55f transmission.
Yes,
The bta air to air has the spacer just remove it and bolt down a grid heater.The air intake can use a short one off a 91.5 - 93 dodge 6b or use the long or short one foe the 4bta.To use a short or long depends on you .

Scott

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,654 Posts
You want Cummins part number 3921500. This accepts the square heater grid used on the Dodge. The front two injection lines will come close to the heater grid and you may have to notch the heater gird body, but you won't have to buy the newer style injection lines, unless you want to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Just to make it absolutely clear to me. Crewcab59 you are saying to use a 4bta intake plate on my 4bt to retrofit the grid heater? And, Scout4bta you are saying to purchase part #3921500 which is an intake plate for the 4BTA. This intake plate will bolt directly on to the 4bt and then the grid heater becomes a no brainer?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Just to make it absolutely clear to me. Crewcab59 you are saying to use a 4bta intake plate on my 4bt to retrofit the grid heater? And, Scout4bta you are saying to purchase part #3921500 which is an intake plate for the 4BTA. This intake plate will bolt directly on to the 4bt and then the grid heater becomes a no brainer?
Yes,the 4bta intake plate will fit a 4bt ,has a square spacer inplace of the grid heater.
Yes ,Cummins P# 3921500 is a 4bta intake cover plate.
Yes ,a 6b grid heater will bolt right down , 89-93 1st gen dodge or 97-98 or 98-2001 will work.Now some 97-98 still have the grid and intake plate as one piece on the 6b.

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes,
The air intake can use a short one off a 91.5 - 93 dodge 6b
It has to face to the driver's side. You can face it to the valve cover but it is too low, and a tube won't hook up. If you had some LONG bolts you could stack the spacer and grid and maybe get over the valve cover.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know I'm new here and expected to get this kind of reply:

Did you really search much?????

I read that thread...and I just did two more times. The info that Crewcab59 and scout4bta were gracious enough to offer was not anywhere in that thread. There were threads that had more info, but being new to 4bts I couldn't completely follow all the jargon...that is why I asked for it to be broken down in terms that anyone could understand...even me. Sorry to waste your time, but it did help me a lot. It might even help another newb.
Thanks for the pic of the short intake tube. I'm not sure which one I will use.

I did search for the 4bta intake plate that Scout4bta supplied the part# on. The cost was around $55...much less than I expected.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wasn't trying to be rude. I entered "heater grid" in the search box and came up with what I thought was plenty of info. Maybe I just didn't read your question right, but it SEEMED as if you hadn't read through any other threads.

If anyone needs a plate, I can fab one from 1/4" aluminum. You will have to get the grid, elbow, bolts, relays, wiring and such from another source. The bolt pattern is rectangular, the elbow will only mount left or right, not fore or aft. Any machinist can make a spacer to put the elbow high enough to go over the valve cover, but long enough bolts/studs may be an issue.

·
Registered
854 Posts
But, is it possible to use a 4bta plate to accomplish the same thing without the welding and milling.
The stub MUST be removed. The surface the grid gasket goes on needs to be really flat and clean to avoid boost leaks. I don't think it is possible do get it right without milling it with an end mill. A machine shop would probably do it for $10

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wasn't trying to be rude. I entered "heater grid" in the search box and came up with what I thought was plenty of info. Maybe I just didn't read your question right, but it SEEMED as if you hadn't read through any other threads.

If anyone needs a plate, I can fab one from 1/4" aluminum. You will have to get the grid, elbow, bolts, relays, wiring and such from another source. The bolt pattern is rectangular, the elbow will only mount left or right, not fore or aft. Any machinist can make a spacer to put the elbow high enough to go over the valve cover, but long enough bolts/studs may be an issue.
Rant: Sorry, but it sure seemed like a RUDE reply to me! And frankly, it WAS rude. Just cause you picked up a LITTLE knowledge from this site and others you don't have to be so haughty. There are a lot more knowlegable people on this site that fortunately don't bite off the hands of newbies. Sorry again, but you deserve a little ruller on the knuckles. Play nice!
Bob B.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
It has to face to the driver's side. You can face it to the valve cover but it is too low, and a tube won't hook up. If you had some LONG bolts you could stack the spacer and grid and maybe get over the valve cover.

The intake elbow on a 4BTA faces forward short and long ,the 91.5 to 93 6b faces to the side like you have.It sound as if you don't have a intercooler .

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bob Barnett, your post speaks volumes about your character.

Play nice? Your post appears to be inducing conflict. At least I was man enough to admit I was in error. You are simply being an ass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CrewCab59
Thanks for the photos of the 4bta intake elbow. So I can orient the elbow north and south with the 4bta intake elbow or east/west with the 91.5-93 6b intake elbow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bob Barnett, your post speaks volumes about your character.

Play nice? Your post appears to be inducing conflict. At least I was man enough to admit I was in error. You are simply being an ass.
Linc,
Calm down please. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one!-:beer:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
CrewCab59
Thanks for the photos of the 4bta intake elbow. So I can orient the elbow north and south with the 4bta intake elbow or east/west with the 91.5-93 6b intake elbow. Thanks again!
The elbow are the same except some 4bta have a long elbow.If you have a air to air I/C than you'll face it to the front.If you don't have a I/C you can face it to the side or use a spacer to run it over the valve cover.

Hope this helps .

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
Actually, the dodge elbow I used has a slightly rectangular bolt pattern to it, or I rather would have liked to point it to the front. It would only go on one way.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,654 Posts
Actually, the dodge elbow I used has a slightly rectangular bolt pattern to it, or I rather would have liked to point it to the front. It would only go on one way.
Yes, the bolt pattern for the heater grid is rectangular, only mounts in one plane. If you want a intake connection that points forward, use cummins part number 3918983, 2.5" inside dia.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts