Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4bt being mated to an sm465 using a factory chevy adapter with starter spacer I am looking for a starter. I have tried two different starters and they seem to bottom out on the lip inside of the Chevy adapter. I’ve heard of people using the 92-93 7.3 and 6.0 powerstroke starters. Is there anyone that can help me with part numbers or some advice!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Back when I did my conversion there were a lot on here using those ford 7.3L starters .
Maybe that stir up some interest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Repower and I hope so papitt I’ve been doing alot of research for the past week trying to find something that might work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a 99-04 7.3 starter does fit and looks like it will mesh with the flywheel but the starter spacer is pushing the starter out to far to engage. Are the aluminum chevy adapter plate starter spacers removable? I have seen posts where the Ford adapters are removable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 4bt being mated to an sm465 using a factory chevy adapter with starter spacer I am looking for a starter. I have tried two different starters and they seem to bottom out on the lip inside of the Chevy adapter. I’ve heard of people using the 92-93 7.3 and 6.0 powerstroke starters. Is there anyone that can help me with part numbers or some advice! View attachment 131586
Reminds me of a project someone brought me years ago in a jet drive boat. It had a BB MOPAR installed to a messed up A - DAPTER POS and used a direct drive starter from some old FIREDOME old hemi instead of the reduction drive the BB wedge with flywheel is supposed to have mated to it. Sounded like shit cranking and was ripping the drive teeth and flywheel teeth off. Stuff like this will drive you crazzzy !

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
The stock starter that would have been used with that adapter plate is a Denso model 128000-0545 shown in the first photo below. To use it requires a Cummins starter spacer 3906647 which has as newer number 3934080. To use the Ford 7.3 starter this spacer is not used. The Ford starter is shown in the second photo below. Beware, some aftermarket replacement starters do not look like these. The 7.3 starter has provision for 3 bolts but only 2 are used. It also generally needs a custom made centering insert. Member Eggman has made these. The 7.3 starter places the starter motor closer to the block and helps where frame clearance is an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The stock starter that would have been used with that adapter plate is a Denso model 128000-0545 shown in the first photo below. To use it requires a Cummins starter spacer 3906647 which has as newer number 3934080. To use the Ford 7.3 starter this spacer is not used. The Ford starter is shown in the second photo below. Beware, some aftermarket replacement starters do not look like these. The 7.3 starter has provision for 3 bolts but only 2 are used. It also generally needs a custom made centering insert. Member Eggman has made these. The 7.3 starter places the starter motor closer to the block and helps where frame clearance is an issue.
Thank you for the great info! So the starter spacer is removable? Also do you happen to know Eggmans information to be able to get one made? The reason I’m leaning more for the 7.3 starter is like you stated it helps with frame clearance and is more readily available also I have one laying around

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
Yes, the starter spacer is removable. You probably wouldn't have any trouble selling it if you don't want to keep it. As for Eggman, just drop him a message and he will get back to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts