Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant seem to find a 5 or 6 speed transmission to drop in my 95 civic hatchback. its ready for its new 4bt but i just cant find a tranny that will fit. anybody got any ideas? im open to just about any suggestions.

·
Vendor
2,646 Posts
Surely, you jest.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
front or rear wheel drive? I really can't see a 4bt fitting, I would love to see a pic though!!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
i have to agree, a 4bt is too big and i dont see it working ina front wheel drive. Even if are sing a rear wheel drive it would be tight at the least. Civics are small cars, and i just dont see it being a safe swap. just my opinion.

·
Registered
494 Posts
a good 5 speed for a civic would be a powerglide. Im pretty sure its a drop in with very little modification

·
Vendor
2,646 Posts
Could put in a Spicer aux unit for OD

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
you would almost need to build a whole new car, just civic-shaped, to use the 4bt... take a look at those drag-racing vehicles with a tubular frame... as far as transmission goes, are you intending to use a manual or automatic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i cant seem to find a 5 or 6 speed transmission to drop in my 95 civic hatchback. its ready for its new 4bt but i just cant find a tranny that will fit. anybody got any ideas? im open to just about any suggestions.
Civic's or any Hondas [ except S2000 ] the motor turns counterclockwise so forget doing that. If you must put a Diesel in a FWD look at Toyota 2C-T 's that were fitted into Jap assembled Camry's / Caldina's / Corona's they are turbo'd and FWD [auto or manual ] Caldina's also were intercooled.
If you want a larger diesel look at a 4D56-T mitsubishi that can be mated to an Aussie Mitzy Magna transaxle [ same bolt pattern ]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aww come on guys, get creative!

- Build a partition behind the front seats, remove the rear seats and mount the engine in the resulting space. Mount a variable displacement hydraulic pump on the engine and fab a mounting plate to put the large displacement hydraulic motor where the stock engine goes. Connect the gas pedal to the flow control on the hydraulic pump. It might almost be drivable!
- Or, fab a trailer on top of a pickup rear end (ford 8.8 or dana 44 should be sufficient), mount the 4BT in the cradle on top if this with the transmission connected to the differential input via a big chain. (Transmission would have to be automatic, throttle and other controls electronic). Put a good trailer hitch on the car and have yourself an articulated pusher! Note: driving this might not be a survivable experience but it will be find to build.
- Or, get a civic and convert it to an EV (people do actually do this - this part isn't nuts), then put a generator head on the 4BT and stick it on a little trailer that you tow.

The really crazy thing is the last two ideas (the diesel pusher and the trailer generator for a homemade EV) are not made up; I've actually heard of both being done. They were both with VW diesels for electric VW Rabbit conversions and the first attempt the the pusher trailer was actually a remote controlled MANUAL transmission.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Build a partition behind the front seats, remove the rear seats and mount the engine in the resulting space. Mount a variable displacement hydraulic pump on the engine and fab a mounting plate to put the large displacement hydraulic motor where the stock engine goes. Connect the gas pedal to the flow control on the hydraulic pump. It might almost be drivable!
maybe could try a corvette transaxle and have it rwd... or instead of the hydraulic drive use electric drive with hub-motors...

Or, fab a trailer on top of a pickup rear end (ford 8.8 or dana 44 should be sufficient), mount the 4BT in the cradle on top if this with the transmission connected to the differential input via a big chain. (Transmission would have to be automatic, throttle and other controls electronic). Put a good trailer hitch on the car and have yourself an articulated pusher! Note: driving this might not be a survivable experience but it will be find to build.
this would be interesting...

Or, get a civic and convert it to an EV (people do actually do this - this part isn't nuts), then put a generator head on the 4BT and stick it on a little trailer that you tow.

·
Registered
800 Posts
This thread is as asinine as
Clown: I'm looking to put a 4bt into _______
me: can't be done under about 40,000, if at all
Clown: I have access to cummins CNC machines and blueprints and block casting moulds. I can have it built one off for free, by engineers who designed the space shuttle, for a 6 pack of natural lite.
Me: they why in the f___ are you asking us?

·
Vendor
2,646 Posts
this thread is as asinine as
assclown: I'm looking to put a 4bt into _______
me: Can't be done under about 40,000, if at all
assclown: I have access to cummins cnc machines and blueprints and block casting moulds. I can have it built one off for free, by engineers who designed the space shuttle, for a 6 pack of natural lite.
Me: They why in the f___ are you asking us?

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Notice this was a one time post.....some kid playing on his parents computer when they were out......I wonder what kind of "tranny" they had in mind????:eek::confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm fully aware that the starter of this thread my not actually be in the process of doing an outrageous swap, but this *kind* of challenge is what gets a lot of creative people who can build things coming up with good ideas. I highly doubt that this particular swap will be done, but the exercise of figuring it out is a fun challenge to ponder and may yet get someone thinking about a much more reasonable challenge in a different enough way that they get their project done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chevenstein,

Eaton Corp is presently running a "Hydro-Hybrid" using the same idea you mentioned in the UPS fleet. The use the 4BT and couple it with a hydralic pump that drives a motor that't "focally" mounted to the differential. The fuel MPG increase is reported upto 70% over the stock type drivetrain in the newest package-cars. I think this would be a great around town vehicle for achieving maximum fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts