Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a 4BT into a CJ5.

Any advice is much appreciated.....like the most likely place to find a 4BT to start with. :smile:

OS

·
Registered
152 Posts
is the cj5 frame boxed?
a girl locally has a 4bt in the 5 and she said the person who built hers had to reinforce the frame plenty because it wasn't boxed?
i'm not sure if it was overkill but this is what I was told...
if you plan on running a overdrive you might want to check the site by novak because they have the trans lenghts and some usefull info...
i have a 4bt in a cj-7 with a 700r4 and the rear driveshaft is short and there is no room to spare in the front of the engine.
my 2 cents...
john

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ill echo aboyve comment. The cj5s did not all have boxed frames.....maybe none of them did. That would be to first concern. CJ5s range from 1955 to 1980s. Earlier models had weaker axles (motors didnt produce what they do today) and had low spline counts onthe shafts. Axle upgrades would be nessecary for the power and to support the weight..........much moore heavry then the Iron Duke 4cyl.

Another concern would be drivetrain length. CJ5 is around 88"? I think that would make an auto very difficult..... unless you lengthened the frame

Just some thoughts off the top

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wheelbase:
81” pre 1972
83.5” 72-83

76-83 cj5 frames are fully boxed, just like the cj7 & cj8.

CJ5s don’t like Auto transmissions no matter what engine (if 4wd)

Good overdrive transmissions (5spds) are really really hard to fit as well

I have a 78 cj5 factory drive train (6cly, t-18, D-20) and my drive shaft is like 13"

I was contemplating putting my 4BT in my CJ5 but I just completely rebuilt it 5 years ago, so I got an old scout (couldn’t find a good CJ6).

if I were to do it....

It would be best to a 4bt from a ford chassis, with a t-19, then adapting a Dana 18 with a warn overdrive would be easy,
mid 70s Wagoneer Dana 44 axles (both offset to passenger side),
just enough lift to fit the 4BT

The weakest link would be the Dana 18, but if you want good drivability and off-road capability you need overdrive. The warn overdrive only works with the Dana 18 but is one of the easiest ways to get an overdrive into a 5 (assuming you want 4wd).

But then again my 4bt, NV4500 and Bronco Dana 20 is just under 62” long so maybe it could fit, but I doubt it.

Big problem is the depth of the motor but if someone has put one in a 7 then it will fit in a 5 just need some amount of lift.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i like my cj7...
it didn't take much fabricating just motor mounts...
i would consider getting a 4bt instead of a 4bta i think there shorter and you might get more clearence with your front diff thats the only problem i ran into with my swap its all jeep parts except for the hydroboost out of a p30 and the 700r4 trans and the 4bta everything else is jeep....
imo-

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
I'm starting from scratch....so maybe a better question is, what is the best vehicle/4bt combo?

OS
If you were to ask "what is a better vehicle" I'd say a Scout II
But then again I'm a little prejudice on the subject:smokin:

Steve

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im not sure there is an ideal veichle. There are vehicles that may lend to be better donr vehicles (engine bay dimensions, wheelbase, drivetrain adaptability, etc).

There are many people here with 4bs in a wide range of swaps performed or underway. Some even fabricate conversion parts for cetain applications (Crewcab59 has mounts and crossmembers for fullsize chevys).

A 4b can be shoehorned into about anything. Just plan ahead for what demands you will be placing on the vehicle, what will its functions be, and how much $ you plan to drop. Best of all take something and make it yours. Whatever you drop one in is unique and to mee thats the best part:smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about a source for the 4bt......I've looked on line...not much I could find. I'm hoping to find something local....I'll try the boneyards next.....there has to be a few of them lying around somewhere close by.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
How about a source for the 4bt......I've looked on line...not much I could find. I'm hoping to find something local....I'll try the boneyards next.....there has to be a few of them lying around somewhere close by.
If you go under "user CP" and edit your profile and add where your located it would be easier to help you find a 4BT.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I've bought two 4BT's from AvantSalvage . Have not found a source for 4B's anywhere in the SW.
Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pics.....great job!.....
Now I just need a Jeep and a 4bt, and I'm off and runnin'.. :smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going to put a 4bt in my jeep. Trying to find the engine at this point. Johnny are those the factory motor mounts? I am modeling mine on CAD and needed the motor mounts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts