Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a place that sells conversion parts to swap a Cummins 4BT into a Jeep Wrangler TJ? I am in the process of purchasing a bread truck with the 3.9 Cummins and I will soon be needing all the custom conversion parts (motor mounts, etc.) for the swap. Any info (websites, prices, advice) is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
jeffdanielsjeeps.com

Talk to Dan, they specialize in Cummins 4b Jeep conversions. I converted my 1997 Tj in my driveway during a week off. From Jeff Daniels I used their motor mounts - $400, Camshaft sensor kit & cranshaft sensor kit - $400 (this makes the factory tach work)

They also sell a trans adapter so if you have an AX5 or AX15 you can bolt it up to the 4b. They gave me tons of advice, just send them pics of your engine and they'll tell you what parts you need.

I have around 1000 highway miles on my TJ with stock dana30/35c axles, getting 24-26 mpg at 80 mph with 3.73 gears

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Your not going to find a bolt in kit , most just fab up a set .

There on my list to do but there are others that's I'm doing right now.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I checked out that site and it seems like they know what they're doing when it comes to these conversions. I looked through their store and the only Jeep diesel conversion part I could find was the motor mount kit (I think I was looking in the right place but I'm not 100% sure). Would I need to contact Dan to inquire about the other parts? Also, do you know how much you spent overall in conversion parts? Any advice/tips you might have for someone who's getting ready to start this project is greatly appreciated and thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They will sell you a complete kit, but since their is a myriad of 4bt setups with accessory drives ect JDJeeps likes to sell parts to each customer individually. The motor mounts are the only parts that is universal between CJ YJ TJ and all 4bt's. They have been installed and tested in Haiti. What JDJeeps needs is 4 pics of your engine and the Jeep your throwing it in and they can advise you from their.

Overall your looking at $8,000.00, you can stay closer to $6000 but its hard.

My project: p7100 4bt $2750 NV4500 $950 Dodge Cummins adapter $150 Powersteering/vacuum pump $150, Motor mounts $400, New 145 amp Cummins alternator $150, Ram clutch pack and master/slave cylinder $500 Custom driveshafts $300 Rough country 2.5 lift/1.75 body lift/.75 front coil spacers $600 Dodge ram starter $200 Flywheel $150 Remaned H1c turbo $600 Tach cps and cam sensor kit $400 plus hoses, wiring and other small parts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Advice - plan plan plan and use sites like this to research, I bought most of my parts in the fall and spent 6 months going over the project and what will work. I did the conversion in my driveway, had a guy who does portable welding weld the motor mounts in and had a rolling chasis that just needed drive shafts and hoses hooked up in 3 hours, it took about 40 hours to have it running off a 1 gal tank under the hood, once I got my recut driveshafts and put a fitting and pickup tube on the gas tank I was in business. Your always buying small parts trying to make things better.

My 130 hp p7100 4bt does great on the highway, I drive up hills at 75 in 5th no problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started with a 97 TJ 2.5 Auto with 160,000 miles on it, gutted the whole drive train in 4 hours on a Sunday. You need a body lift and front coil spacers due to the height of the diesel, you don't realize how tall it is until you go to put it in. Better have a 2 ton engine hoist, needed for the height.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello guys! im going to put a 4bt in a jeep with a chevy 4speed and a 205 i have 2 jeeps a 1967 commando and a 1983 cj7 i am looking at a 1997 jeep also. what jeep do you all think i should put the 4bt in? also any help on what all i will need for the swap? how do you all work out the breaks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i already have the 4bt and chevy 4speed with the 205. i think i can pick up the 1997 tj for around $500 its a 4cyl with a blown up motor... i was thinking the 97 with a 6" long arm and 37" tires with dana 60s would go great with the 4bt????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts