Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started to get a more pronounced vibration in the engine over the last month or two. Has been a bit of a rattler since I bought it, but seems to have been getting worse of late. It was a 4bt with balancing shaft on the bottom of the engine but believe this was removed by the previous owner when doing the engine conversion. Sump was modified to fit the engine bay and clearance on front diff. Engine came out of an airport baggage tug from the info I have gained and been converted to a road use engine. Has VE pump, 3200 Gov spring and fuel pin, HX30w turbo and FMIC. Does NOT have a fluidampr on the crank yet but have noticed there is starting to get more vibration during driving and quite noticeable difference in engine shake on shutdown.
Other than that, she runs a bit on the rich side which I need to get sorted but doesn't get high egt's at all.
Any advice or pointers to look at??

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Have a careful check of all engine/trans mounts and drive line.
Any recent work to the engine?
Has there been any difference in shake/roughness at idle?

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, nothing has changed engine wise. Shake was becoming more predominant at idle as well, but I thought maybe the engine mounts were shot so replaced with new ones on the weekend. Same fluid filled mounts. Is slightly better but vibrations are now coming through the rest of the car now. Concerned that its something major and going to let go in an epic way.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Could try cracking each injector line and see if the idle changes the same on all cylinders.
Chuck an old towel or rag over the injector to stop it spraying all over and keep your hands away from the squirting diesel.
Possibly an injector spring pressure getting a little weak.
What RPM is it idling at?
Cheers Steve

Reactions: SUBRUTUS
1 - 4 of 4 Posts