Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years my dad's cousin had his retired Winnebago delivery truck parked behind one of our sheds. The truck was retired early due to it being front wheel drive, very problamatic, and parts were hard to come by for it. It was a 1989 or 1990 model and was last registered in 1997. A couple years ago I decided I wanted it to chop up and make a shack of it... Being a bit of an eyesore my dad decided to call his cousin, who gave us this truck... So I had a free shack, and a Cummins 4bt. That was April of 05

A couple weeks ago my dad decided the motor off the front frame section, and with that it ended up in the shop, we didn't know what to expect, two hours later it was running. It was then fitted with a radiator so we could circulate water through it.

At this point the Ford 4-speed and t-case that was on the Little Debbie truck was removed, and replaced with a 4-speed and t-case from from an F-150 that we had for parts...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We got the parts truck into the shop and got it ready, and got the motot stripped back down.

It was go time, we didn't think the cheery picker would do so we busted out the little loader...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't going in well, the oil pan didn't fit... Nobody else thought the oil pan was reversable, I told them to look closer... We just needed a different oil pickup. My dad called the local tractor mechanic and he had a N/a version of this motor out of a skid loader, he wasn't sure how the pan was orientated so we went to look and a swap was in order... At this point we changed the oil and filter after the pan had been dropped.

Sitting on the oil pan.

Going in again this time with the cherry picker, it fit this time...

I guess I haven't taken pics since then, but it's in and running...
Currently it has a 4-speed with 3.55 gears and 33" tires, we hope to get an od manual, whether a 3 or 4 w/ od is undecided, and 3.08 gears are coming out of another truck.

The truck it is going in is unknown, but im trying to get my hands on this one...

It has a 3-speed with o/d, 3.55 gears, and 35" tires, which would be ok until the 3.08 gears are in and new 33" tires are on.

The plan is then to do a full 4" exhaust, all necessary guages, put on an intercooler, then a fuel pin and whatever else, and possibly propane injection... Potentially I wouldn't mind experimenting w/ a different turbo or possibly twins while still running a conservative amount of boost.

A pic of the IC it's pretty big and quite heavy duty, it was off a almost 300hp tractor; it had a large oil cooler on the bottom that leaked terribly and the whole unit had to be replace. I cut the oil cooler off and chiseled all the fins off the bottom row (it was a dummy row) So it was a free IC that should be able to handle a lot of abuse.

Thats it for now, I should get more pics sometime soon...

·
Registered
127 Posts
man- not a bad job. Pretty cool that it's built with things you just have laying around.

"Little Debbie has a shack for you" LOL!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man- not a bad job. Pretty cool that it's built with things you just have laying around.

"Little Debbie has a shack for you" LOL!
Yup, the only costs aside from the tools used and stuff that we had around; $5.88 for an oil filter, and $4.XX for new dirt seals for the fuel injectors, to get everything right in the final vehicle will cost a little more but not much... After the engine is cleaned some paint, new intake, IC piping, diff air filter, a few other low cost things... We also have the stuff to do ether inject for cold starts. Everything is working out well so far...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice work!

How does the diesel power compare to the gas? Can you get up to highway speed without overdrive? What kind of mileage are you getting? I am in the middle of a similar swap and am wondering what to expect.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work!

How does the diesel power compare to the gas? Can you get up to highway speed without overdrive? What kind of mileage are you getting? I am in the middle of a similar swap and am wondering what to expect.

Thanks

Mark
The power is good, probably better than the stock 302 by a good bit... Right now it does 75-80 mph @ WOT... An overdrive tranny is in the works, along with 3.08. With 33" tires I think i figured out it should be at about 1600 RPMs @65MPH, which would make it quite economical.
As for mileage I have no idea right now, because it is only in the truck it is in on a temporary basis we are only using a little 2.5 gallon fuel tank and we dont have the odometer hooked up. We also only make short trips right now, because of lack of licencing and lighting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Pics tonight

As it sits now

The current method of brake boosting was salvaged from our retired grain pup, it may get ditched because it's quite loud, and vibrates much more than the engine itself... Everything is very temporary.

Intake side... The filter was an extra for my fourwheeler, It's small but no much smaller than OE

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Passenger side motor mount.

Drivers side, we still don't have power steering so that's why the towel is there...

The Oil pressure and temp guage, the temp guage is wired in with the vaccum pump on a switch by the battery. The other stuff is the the on/off and momentary for starting. Also the gps is hanging from the mirror, so there is our speedometer.

Not much will be changing until we get a different truck to put the motor in, which the sooner the better!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I got a call that I can buy the Black F-150 I had looked at... Now we just need a day that the roads are clear of salt and snow to make a trip to get it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's been a while and progress has been slower that I anticipated, but it's getting there

The truck the day I got it

Another

As it sits now I ripped off the stainless to fix rust, there is 1 piece i have to cut out and replace with a chunk out of the red and white truck the rest is minor. Im just going to repaint the rockers at this point with a 2 part epoxy primer then paint upto the trim...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The electrical for all the aftermarket stuff was terrible, so it's all gone. There was no use of relays for any of the lights, it was bad, they didn't even use electrical tape, just duct tape... The new wiring is in progress and pretty much the last thing. One dist. block under the hood has a 4 guage wire running to the box(860 watts worth of lights), than an 8 guage for audio in the cab. Then we have 8 wire outdoor wire going back to the box from the cab for the relays that will be in a box back there then another set going under the hood. The Mustang e-fan still has to be wired up with the kit I bought with minor improvisions.

Lastly the motor is sitting pretty. Still have to hook up the heater core and put on the E-fan. I moved the radiator back a few inches to fit the IC in the future, when I'm ready for it all i need to do is unbolt the radiator and put the IC in and pipe it. It was A lot of screwing around that was unneccesary at this point, but easier now than later...

The intake is going to hold me back along with the fuel system... I need some 3" exhaust piping with an end flaired to 3.5" for the filter, then the bend from the rubber intake can be used to make the intake. My brothers buddy has an exhaust bender/flaring maching, and just ordered a 3" die set then that will be done. As for the fuel system I'm doing something quite differn't that will allow me to use the factory fuel system and allow me to adjust my fuel pressure in the future, it will cost a fraction of my other options and I will have it started and finished tommorrow...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice build up!! That looks to be what I want to do. A question on the oil pan....does it require a rear sump pan? It seems like it would. I wish I could modify the engine cross member if I needed to. Maybe I should get rid of the TTB as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definately gotta be rear sump, mine was front and I was lucky enough to find a rear sump pickup for free! With it in the rear the engine is like it belongs there... I may also ditch the ttb too I dont know for sure though, if I break something or the balljoints go I probably will. I like where I'm at right now except I wish I had a 5-speed instead of the 3 w/ OD but I'm pulling wicked economy so I won't complain too much...

·
Registered
278 Posts
My buildup is similar to yours. I have an 85 F350 2WD Crewcab with 4BT, 3-speed OD, and 3.54 gears. I still have to install the radiator. My choices are a 351-Windsor AT no A/C radiator or a 6.9L diesel MT with A/C. Do you think I need the bigger radiator? I plan to eventually install A/C after it is running.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far I have been using the stock dual core for the 302 with no issues, I don't need the fan unless I'm mudding... Of coarse temps are still mild here, I guess I'll see when it warms up I may have to upgrade...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decided to upload o few of the last pic's I took...

As the truck sits now.

The engine bay, still needs to be cleaned up a little, I should put the IC in soon...

My Fuel pump cheat. It was cheaped than buying differn't pumps and has worked good so far. Comes in from the tank on the bottom and also goes to the engine the top line is the return to the tank...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very Interesting. Is it to purge air out of the fuel?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts