Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys with Ford's run the stock 8.8 inch rear w/ your conversion? How well do they hold up to all that low rpm torque?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm sure the 8.8 would hold up with a resonable sized tire (33" or less). Now if you put a spool in it or a lincoln locker there's no guarantee :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to run an 8.8. Even if it doesn't hold up stock, they can be built pretty indestructible with aftermarket parts. I would weld the tubes though, spinning one won't be much fun.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Right now the plan is to run the 8.8 and tranny stock w/ an upgraded clutch to keep the initial costs down. Once I get some more funds ( or things start breaking ) I'm thinking about going over to a ZF5 and a 10.25.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Ford Lightening and Harley-Davidson F-150s use the 8.8 rear end, their supercharged 5.4L engines produce about 500 ft-lbs of torque. The 8.8 ought to hold up behind a 4BT without issue if used in moderation.

CD

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Ford Lightening and Harley-Davidson F-150s use the 8.8 rear end, their supercharged 5.4L engines produce about 500 ft-lbs of torque. The 8.8 ought to hold up behind a 4BT without issue if used in moderation.

CD
lightnings and h/d use a ford 9.75 like all newer f-150. the 8.8 is found in explorer (31-spline), mustang, ranger (most are 28-spline except for 02 fx4s and 03-up fx4 lvII which have 31-splines and torsen l/s diffs).

·
Registered
7 Posts
lightnings and h/d use a ford 9.75 like all newer f-150. the 8.8 is found in explorer (31-spline), mustang, ranger (most are 28-spline except for 02 fx4s and 03-up fx4 lvII which have 31-splines and torsen l/s diffs).
explorers used 31 spline 8.8 for years and f150 did through 98 i know maybe later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts