Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I suppose it about time to post this build so I can get valuable insite from eveyone here as I build it. Not to mention I know I love pictures of other peoples builds so here it is.

- 95 Ranger Short Bed Regular cab/ with a 01 Edge Front Clip.
- 4bta (3200 RPM Spring), ZF42, NP205 w/ Twin Sticks.
- Ford HP Dana 60 front, and Dana 60 Rear, 4.10 Gears. ( Eaton E locker planned for the front)
- 3 link up front, 14" Coilovers are planned, with leafs out back, for simplicity and full use of the bed.
- GoodYear MT OZ Hummvee Tires, Wheels, and internal Beadlocks.

Plan use for the Vehicle Daily Driver/ Trail Duty/ Apocolypse Survival Mobile.

I figured Ford Blue would suffice seeing has no one locally carries Cummins Baby Poop Brown.

The rear portion of the Frame will be built with 2X4 Tubing, and have two batties and possible an extra fuel tank for WVO. I trying rear-mount as much as I can to allow for better weight distribution.

Hopefully, the weather clears up so I can push the mustang outside and make some actual progess.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
sweet, looks like your going to have a really capable truck!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
How much for the Fastback shipped to 38141? :D

Oh yeah, the Ranger is cool too, 'cept that rear pinion angle looks a little harsh :rasta:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh its not for sale currently but I can put you on the list of would be buyers. That's the next project I have to finish... Its to pretty of a car to be in primer and not tearing up the pavement on a nice sunny day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good, I have a 4BT in my Ranger with 38's, motivates it real well, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
What kind of mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No idea I've never checked it. I used a rear fuel tank from a Bronco II so fuel gauge is off a little and I don't drive the truck more than 3-5 times a month.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Welcome to the ranger crowd!!! Good work so far.

I couldn't see what you did for engine mounts/isolators, but would be interested to hear. I used the midmount on both sides of the engine, fabbed my brackets from 1/4" plate, and used F150 vibration isolators. They're about 2/3 the size of the lord mounts and similar in design, about $20 apiece, and they've held up great so far. They do a good job of keeping the rattling down.

From the pic it looks as if you might still have the ford setup's famous starter and frame interference issues.

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on using the mounts from the P30 and modifying them a needed, they are nothing fancy just large pieces of 1/4" Angle Iron with the Chevy Liquid mounts if I am not mistaken. Thes mounts seemed to do just fine, when I drove the P30 in November. Though if these mounts are hard to get, I might switch to something like you used so part availability wont be so much of an issue.

Of course Napa would have it the one pace I didn't check. I am not sure who Called it C.B.P.B. First but I saw it on 4BT Swaps, and it has since stuck with my friends and I. Especially since now they want to put either a 6BT or 4BT into everything that might need a motor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have finally started to work on the truck again, though my schedule has still kept the amount of time I spend on it to a minimum. The 60 is back together though it still needs new upper kingpin bushings. I pulled the motor and trans so I can build dedicated mounts and shave the wings of the ZF for clearance. The original way I had planned the three link to work will need to be modified requiring me to order some different brackets.

My welder has gone down leaving me in a bind to finish anything 3 link related.

I love this dif cover.

The truck is currently sitting much to high for requirements as a DD and trail rig. I would like the truck to sit as low as possible. At its current height it wont fit outside the garage, reminds me of Dildozer from Idiocracy. I want the truck to be at least 5 inches lower for stability, fuel economy, ease of entry into the vehicle, and in an attempt to keep the fuzz at bay. I feel that 4" of up travel is more then sufficient, with the ability for the axle to drop another 10". As the truck sits now I have about 11 inches from the frame to the steering rod.

The rear springs are Skyjacker 4" lift springs, though they may be getting swapped out for F 150 springs to meet my lower height requirements.

Another interesting issue has presented itself to me, my Ford D60 Front appears to be about two inches wider then my D60 Rear... Not a big deal just have to buy wheels spacers, though I was excited when I saw how nicely the rear tires almost fit within the body of the truck.

Hopefully later in the week the weather will clear up, and my friend will rescue me with his Miller so I can get the front axle connected to the vehicle, finalize what coilovers I want and when finds allow order them. I should also have the motor mounted and start running fuel lines, and other required wires so I can make progress on the 4BT Swap side of the house.

Tractor Boy, did you have any issues getting your stock gauges to work with your swap?

·
Registered
355 Posts
cool build I like the 67 FB to thats my favorite year still kickin my self for getting rid of mine:(
I'm using Balistic Joints on My Dakota build to. they have some nice products.
keep us posted can't wait to see it together.
What all is involved in changing to the newer dog house ?
I'm gonna pull my 93 Ranger in the barn some day and I thought about putting a 99 dog house
on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
cool build I like the 67 FB to thats my favorite year still kickin my self for getting rid of mine:(
I'm using Balistic Joints on My Dakota build to. they have some nice products.
keep us posted can't wait to see it together.
What all is involved in changing to the newer dog house ?
I'm gonna pull my 93 Ranger in the barn some day and I thought about putting a 99 dog house
on it.
I am not sure what is completely involved with swapping the newer front clip on to the older trucks. I do know there fiberglass headlight panels are different, though I just plan on making mine work how ever I have to once I get to that point.

Yea I have had the Fastback for awhile, I need to finish it two project have come and gone since I bought it in 2004.... Though I have changed the goals for it so many times that doesn't help it get finished any faster.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
forgot to add... your right over the border have to bring up my ranger when your done id like to check that thing out
I would love to see your truck at any point, it looks real sharp. Did you have any issues using your factory gauges?

·
Registered
355 Posts
67fb

I know this is kind of off topic but I would like to see some more pictures of the FB :D
maybe put some on your profile page I love the picture of the Shelby you have on their:D
also what tire's are on the rear of the Mustang?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would love to see your truck at any point, it looks real sharp. Did you have any issues using your factory gauges?
well when i removed the old engine the computer went with it.. and the wiring goes through that for the gauge cluster, at the moment it does not work. tried tracing wires and testing if any of them would make the cluster work but no luck. i have all after market gauges anyway so i dont plan on making them work at least as of right now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I hate doing electrical work, especially tedious work such as tracing wires. Though building gauges clusters is pricey and not in the budget, so hopefully my friend and I can get the factory gauges to work.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts