Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the thickness of a 4bt head gasket measured at the cylinder seal? I am trying to identify my gasket so I can get the correct replacement. If anyone knows the thickness of a standard or oversize(.15 or .50mm) gasket then I can compare it to my gasket to see which gasket is on my engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply 4BT Terra.
The #1 piston is 0.022" above the block at TDC.
The gasket I removed measures 0.070" at the piston seal ring.
I am trying to deterime if I need to buy a standard or oversize gasket from Cummins.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The shop manual shows standard piston protrusion at .024 - .028 " so you are close to the lower limit so the block deck has probably not been surfaced. But if the head has been surfaced at some point you may still need an oversize head gasket. Usually they'll stamp a single "X" for the first oversize or "XX" for the second OS on the block or head after it's machined.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 52Wrench.

I have a remanfactured head, and there is no x or xx on the back side. This head appears to be the same thickness as the head I removed. I measured the bolt hole depth between cylinders 2 & 3, and both heads are the same thickness. That is why I was trying to figure out which gasket I took off. My plan was to identify my old gasket and buy a new one the same thickness, since my engine was running ok.

Also, the original head did not have any x's on it.

So, I'll buy a standard gasket from Cummins.

1981 Jeep J10
4BT CPL 767
GM/Muncie 465 Trans

1 - 5 of 5 Posts