Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some top side views of the installed engine. Some 6BT parts here. Intake and air cleaner; 6BT air horn mounted on a shortened 6BT intake plate. A 2" pressure gauge can be seen on top of my remote oil filter housing that can't be seen here. Beside that and below the alternator is the Ford vacuum pump; and below that is a Sanden A/C compressor. A Saab intercooler is still in front of the radiator but is diconnected. Thought it was causing a pressure drop at that time. My tests may have been inaccurate when I was testing it. Will be putting an intercooler back in soon. Had the egt's running a tad high during boat towing last year without the intercooler. The serpentine belt allignment is critical for good belt life. I have 30,000 miles on this belt and can still read the belt numbers. The stainless turbo tubing is 2.5" stock. Engine is monitored by a digital system monitor on a 2" by 4" LCD display made by my brother and monitors the exhaust thermocouple, coolant temperature, RPM's, boost pressure and three user selectable temperatures. This unit allows for audible alarming at any process value setpoints that I program, also recording maximum and minimum values of any parameter with the ability to reset these max/min values. The intake has the 6BT heaters which are controlled by a home built temperature control circuit to match the 6BT intake heater grid temperature tables.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
4BT in 1985 Dodge Ram Prospector

Engine mounting/ vibration dampers:
Passenger side mid-engine mount with integrated A/C compressor mount. The plate in hand is mounted on the outboard side of the frame rail; stitch welded to the rail. This plate runs past the cross member to transfer torque and vibrations over a larger section of the frame and cross member system. Both mid-engine mounts were built this way. The 6BT pads were eventually drilled with about fifteen 5/16" hole to make them slightly softer for a lighter engine. This engine mount recieved three bolts into the engine block. 6BT fluidic vibration dampener on crank. Never ran without it to know how much it helped. My engine is quite stable and there are no vibration distortions in the rear view mirrors just above idle. The driver side engine mount is not mine. This was the photo i copied mine from.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

4BT with NV4500, homemade adaptor and NP208 transfer case. Yes the engine is slightly rotated. My mistake but this had no effect on the installation. I do not have any plans for the adpater plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

One view under truck looking at the exhaust oulet on the HY35W turbo before the exhaust elbow was fitted. There is about 6" to the firewall at this point. I elected to take a 6BT exhaust elbow and cut a wedge out of it and reweld for a faster turndown. It's now about 2" from the firewall. I painted some model rocket heat paint on the firewall. This paint takes the fire blast of a rocket engine even when applied to balsa wood.
The other pic is of the engine in what became very close to the final position. There is about 3" spacing between the number one valve cover and the firewall. I could have moved the engine forward quite a bit but liked the fact that I did not have to make a new dog-legged shift lever to get back to my short arms. At pressent I have about 10-11" from my harmonic balancer and the radiator. An electric fan is in front of the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The cleaned up truck with 4BT installed. Running at about 25 mpg right now. About 17-18 mpg when towing 5,000 lbs.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
That looks really nice. Are the NV4500 and transfer case Chevy or Dodge versions? Is there a blueprint available somewhere for the engine side of the mounts? This could be a possible universal mount that could solve some of the vibration problems. How far forward did your transfer case shifter end up?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NV4500 is Dodge which has a larger diameter input than chevy. NP208 is from the 85 dodge truck.
The transfer case shifter is in the exact location it was originally in with the 318 engine. I looked how close I was to that location when I first set my 4BT in place and just decided to locate the engine based on the transfer case shifter. I don't have any drawings of the mounts. My photos are not nearly as nice as the ones I copied my mounts from. Here's the passenger side photo without anything on it. I just made my mounts from this photo and the one from the other side. I forgot that I made my mount about another 2" toward the bellhousing than this original one I copied. That placed my mount right in front of the starter motor. The extra tab I added at the front and top side of my base plate was to create a weld location for my Ford vacuum pump support. I turned my coolant fitting toward the back to clear my vacuum pump which is where the coolant hose would attch in this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
NV4500 is Dodge which has a larger diameter input than chevy. NP208 is from the 85 dodge truck.
The transfer case shifter is in the exact location it was originally in with the 318 engine. I looked how close I was to that location when I first set my 4BT in place and just decided to locate the engine based on the transfer case shifter. I don't have any drawings of the mounts. My photos are not nearly as nice as the ones I copied my mounts from. Here's the passenger side photo without anything on it. I just made my mounts from this photo and the one from the other side. I forgot that I made my mount about another 2" toward the bellhousing than this original one I copied. That placed my mount right in front of the starter motor. The extra tab I added at the front and top side of my base plate was to create a weld location for my Ford vacuum pump support. I turned my coolant fitting toward the back to clear my vacuum pump which is where the coolant hose would attch in this pic.
As a side note,the Gm Nv4500 96 or newer the dodge input can be installed the the GM trans.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil cooler adapter for HY35W clearance

I had the high mount oil cooler which bacame an obstruction with my longer HY35W. I band sawed off the filter spin on adapter and machined an adapter that would allow for a remote oil filter to be mount up by the radiator along with a pressure gauge. The remote filter adapter and hoses were Summit Racing parts. The adpater has two 1/4" npt side ports for turbo oil supply and engine oil pressure monitoring. The supply and return ports for the remote oil filter are 1/2" npt. I did not make an accurate drawing of how I made this. I can only offer up these pics and additional Q & A to those interested.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
Can you give details of what was involved in converting to hydro-boost brakes such as the specific application they were used on originally? Was it a direct bolt on replacement after removing the brake vacuum booster? Any glitches to watch out for?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hydro boost

I am not an experienced car mechanic and this was my first time looking for a hydro boost system. I 'm sure there are other experienced mechanics here who will hopefully add to what I will try and stumble through. I only knew of one vehicle that had the hydro-boost brakes so I went to the local parts store to look at a booster. I looked at the Dodge 1997 Cummins equiped 3500 pickup booster. The brake pedal rod end of the booster matched my 1985 brake pedal attachment pin so that's what I decided to work with.
The newer Dodges had a slightly different mounting hole pattern so I had to drill a new hole for one of the booster studs.
AlsoI did not have the pin and spring that went into the front of the booster and into the back side of the master cylinder. I had to make a pin from a 5/16" bolt.
The other items needed are the hard lines that attached to the booster and include three lines (PS supply in, booster out to sector, low pressure return to PS pump) the soft hydraulic lines that connect the booster to the PS pump and steering sector (name?) and from the steering sector to the PS pump.
One problem I ran into was that the master cylinder reservior interfered with the 6BT intake horn i used. I had to release a circlip on the back side of the booster and rotate my master cylinder until the reservior cleared the intake horn.
Other ideas include; change your brake fluid often and use a fliter in one of the lines if you can.
If I had to do it over again and had the extra time, I would have sought out someone that knows what vehicles used hydroboost and try and buy and entire system used but in verifiably good condition from a junk yard or ebay. This way you don't have to buy individual items and spend more $. BTW my origunal estimates on what I spent were low. It was closer to $300 to 350; but for new or like new parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Driverswanted, you posted something about heater grid temperature tables. I have done the exact same setup as yours and was wondering where did you got the information for the temps?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The outside temperatures used to created the table are in the the 1st Gen. Dodge factory manuals. It details what ambient temperatures ( intake manifold temperature at time of key turn) trigger both heater grids or alternate between the two grids and how the duty cycle is changes between on and off. My brother builds these control circuits. The alternative is to put in a momentary switch controlling a power relay and hold in the heater grid power with a free finger on the switch until the engine is running the way you like. Tonight when I started the engine at an outside temperature of 16 deg. F. it started off with both grids fired up.
Just found the table. There is a pre-start and a post start period. At LT zero deg. F. the pre-heat ( Ignition on engine not running) calls for 15 seconds of both heaters on. From 18 F to 59 F it's 10 seconds. Above 59 F it calls for no prestart-heat. Post start heating is only applied up to 59 F and the grids will alternately be turned on. the chart is not specific on the "on" time for the grids in post start mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First I gotta say your truck is bad a**

I have a ’84 short bed D-150 I am seriously considering a 4bt swap now after seeing yours and the fact that it gets 25 mpg

Can we see a pic of the display?

About how much $ do you have in the swap and how long did it take to do?

Anything you would do differently?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the truck in Abaline Tx. for about $5,000. The engine was about $2,000. The NV4500 was $850. Injectors were $266. Misc 6BT parts were about $700 and the turbo was $200 I think.

"Anything you would do differently?" Yes, maybe find a 4BT that I did not have to make the adapter for to get to the NV4500. Maybe not buy the 190's until trying the staandard injectors first.
More importantly what I'm glad I did was; get the 4BT parts manaul, the Bosch parts diagrams, the Cummins Injection Pumps and Injectors manaul, buy the HY35W, Go with mid engine mounts, Use Hydroboost brakes, install monitoring system, buy a welder.
Have to get you later on the digital system monitor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine System Monitor

System Monitor has EGT, RPM's, Boost, coolant temp., intercooler differential temperature, Intercooler inlet temperature, outside temperature. I have been doing some playing with locations of temperature monitoring and thought it would be interesting to to watch the temperature drop across the intercooler. Don't have any data to share becasue the intercooler is not back in yet. The three buttons allow me to view two more screens which have max recorded values and alarm setpoint values for everything. Right now I have the alarm beeping when the turbo boosts above 15 psi and EGT's above 1200 F. All max values can also be reset at any time.
Sorry about the quality of the pic. I don't have software that allows me to zero in on the 81K size file very easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
DW, that's surely one of the nicest installs I've ever seen! Nice to have the tools and know how to use them. I've got a few questions but there's so much in this thread I'll have to print out and kick back and read!

On that 6BT harmonic damper, was this a direct bolt-in to replace 4BT pulley, and were you able to use the same serpentine belt? I need to do SOMETHING about some vibration problems and would like to start with eliminating as much as I can from the engine itself. Again VERY NICE and thanks for any info...

·
Registered
2 Posts
That display is too cool, a lot better than having a bunch of gauges everywhere
It looks right at home in the cubby hole in the dash

So your engine had a Chevy adaptor and bell housing? And the adaptor you made was to put a Dodge NV4500 on to the Chevy bell housing?
Couldn’t you have swapped the Chevy adaptor to a Dodge adaptor off of a 6bt from a Cummins equipped ram? And then used a Dodge NV4500 bell housing?

I am moving at the end of this month and then after I get another garage to work in I am going to get started on a conversion and I will probably have a million questions for you then

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
JimmieD. Thanks for the comps. The harmonic dampener needs a spacer behind it and your 4BT pulley behind both of those. My records show the Cummins part number is 3925233 (Dampener, Vibration). It is indicated for the 6BT but it fit my 4BT just fine. The spacer or adapter (p/n:3924579) will need M12 x 1.25 x 60mm Hex flange head cap screws (p/n 3924584). The RPM limit on this dampener is 3,000 RPM. I also have a phone number for ordering these. 800-588-7325 (attn:John Edwards). The standard 8 rib belt works and is not in the way. I don't know what eliminated most of the vibration. I used drilled 1st generation 6BT mounts plus this vibration dampener. I think they both helped a lot to reduce vibrations. Good luck.
Dodgepu360 : Thanks to you also. I don't know much about engine to tranny configurations. That sounds logical. And I did not try to find any Dodge adapters at the time because thought I could make my own adapter cheaper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
D.W. Do you suppose you could post a couple of pics of your HydroBoost setup? Assuming that you used the unit from the Frito van, I'm interested to see what/how you did it.

Thanks!
Andrew

1 - 20 of 54 Posts