Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 4bt and I am planning on swapping it into my 1979 f250. It currently has a 351m backed by a t18. Truck is linked and is primarily used off-road so I’d like to keep the t18 If I can. What is my best option as far as sourcing out an adaptor plate/clutch + flywheel? I have a bellhousing off of a t19 with the 6.9 idi pattern ( at least I believe it is a t19 with it being a 4 speed) if that needs to be used. any help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
The 4bt used in the Ford E350 vans used the T19 with a small block Ford bolt pattern. The 351M would be a different bolt pattern than the 351W. You'd just need the base 351W bellhousing for the transmission which shouldn't be hard to find and the Ford 4bt adapter parts. The Ford bellhousing is part E4TA-7505-DA. The Ford adapter for the block is Cummins old part numbers 3908022, 3910515, or newer number 3912601. Requires a starter spacer Cummins number 3906647 or new number 3934080. Starter is Denso number 128000-0545. The Ford flywheel is part 3906613. Flywheel bolts are part 3901395 (8 req) and washers 3900269 (8 req). Bolts that attach the adapter plate to the block are 3920447 (8 req). Don't know the starter bolt part number off hand. Did your engine come with any transmission adapter? Since this is mainly off road I don't guess you're worried about road speed. Your top speed will probably be in the 50-55 MPH range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! The engine had a Chevy adaptor plate and the guy I bought it from kept it seems how I didn’t need it. Would it be worth my time to use the t19 bellhousing or will that not work correctly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this bellhousing outside, can’t seem to see the last 2 digits you mentioned. All I can see is “E4TA-7505” will this work for me?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
That looks a little different. Below is a photo of the one that came behind the 4bt. As long as they are for the manual transmission in standard small block bolt pattern I'd think either would work. The one in your photo has a few more bolt holes and bracket cast on it. Could have been a later redesign. Main thing is to be sure it has the W bolt pattern and not the M (modular). In looking, the one in your photo may be the narrow transmission bolt pattern. There were 2 different width patterns. Have seen bellhousings with both.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks a little different. Below is a photo of the one that came behind the 4bt. As long as they are for the manual transmission in standard small block bolt pattern I'd think either would work. The one in your photo has a few more bolt holes and bracket cast on it. Could have been a later redesign. Main thing is to be sure it has the W bolt pattern and not the M (modular). In looking, the one in your photo may be the narrow transmission bolt pattern. There were 2 different width patterns. Have seen bellhousings with both.
Okay I’ll keep an eye out for the correct bellhousing, thank you for your help I appreciate it very much. What type of mounts would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The one Charles is talking about will be for the Ford Windsor bolt pattern it is the one on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Steve, there were actually 2 different SB Ford bolt patterns. The very early units were 5 bolt and then they switched to 6 bolts. Those 5 bolts units aren't too common. The dual bolt pattern bellhousing I mentioned was used because Ford was offering the T19 and the Ford top loader which had a different bolt pattern. Housings can be found in aluminum and cast iron like the one in the photo below.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts