Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not highjacking Jboxjohnny's CJ threads I'll get my own for the scrambler :beer: . Thanks for all the advice JBox!

Here's what we have so far.

1 1983 Jeep Scrambler

1 Stock 4BT - needs washed & painted
1 700R4 soon to be built - custom 4BT converter in hand.
1 NP205 Rebuilt, Front 1350 Yoke Front/Rear.

Scout Dana 44 Rear/Narrowed Scout D44 Front w/adjusted caster. 4.09 Gearsets. Lock-rite rear, LSD in the front.

·
Registered
329 Posts
cant wait to see this one.....have a soft spots for the 8s

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of right now I still have the stock half-cab. I was thinking of going full-hard top (About $1800 :eek: )with a bikini & metal half-doors during the summer. Probably a full cab later on. I'm still trying to locate a door rebuild kit - I know the cat-whiskers/weatherstripping for the doors can be expensive (and a pain to install) so I may not even use the full doors and just go with metal-halves w/soft tops. Next goal is to just get the mounts fabbed up & motor installed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
looks nice man very solid looking!!!!!!!!
definately start your own thats what its here for...
can't wait to see more to come....
later

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice to see another diesel CJ8. I have a 1984 CJ8 that I am putting a 4BTA, GM NV4500 (with dodge bellhousing) and an atlas t-case. I have a custom TDK frame that is set up for a full width axle in the front (HP Dana 44) and 4-link air bag suspension in the rear.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire Question

Anyone here ever run 35 12.50 15's? If so did you run 8" or 10" width rims? I've heard you can run both, and get more height with the more narrow wheel. Getting ready to do the mounts this weekend, if the engine doesn't clear enough I may switch to a spring-over axle.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have run 12.50 tires on both 8 and 10" wide rims. The 10" will make the rim more susceptible to damage when four wheeling on rocks etc. The 8" will keep the bead edge more protected by allowing the side walls to bulge out a little more.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have run 12.50 tires on both 8 and 10" wide rims. The 10" will make the rim more susceptible to damage when four wheeling on rocks etc. The 8" will keep the bead edge more protected by allowing the side walls to bulge out a little more.
8" Kinda what I was thinking - I ran 33 12.50 16.5's once on 9.75" wheels. they were only about 32" tall, but wider. (see my suburban winch thread)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, started on the new mounts today, had to repair some cracks in the frame. Going to finish the mounts later this week. It's nice actually having a chain hoist to lift the engine up instead of the cherry picker. While we wait, here's a picture of the full hard top I picked up. Pretty reasonable price too!

More Pics soon!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Motor mounts are done, just need to get them cleaned up an welded out. Pics on 9/5. Ended up using the dodge-type angled mount, but made a bracket between the stock CJ motor mount holes and the shock bracket holes. The weight of the motor is spread out in an "H" type design instead of 1 central welded point on the frame.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing is welded on the frame. I'm using exsiting bolt-holes & spanning the weight over 4 points vs 2 for a standard type mount.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About like it is on the trailer. Currently working out fabbing the rear crossmember & mounting the T-case. Next stop will be fuel & brake lines with a test-mount of the body back on the frame for clearances.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your going to solid mount it the frame? Do you think you'll get alot of vv..ii..bb...rr....a...t...i...o..n...?????

Love your build though, makes me wish I had waited to buy a CJ8 :dustin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts