Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cost of gas here in SoCal I'm very interested in doing a diesel swap in my Jeep. Anybody know of shops that can do it? I would not be averse to trying it myself but , it being my DD and all, I'd want to do it as fast as possible. I heard of a place up near L.A. that did one featured in Diesel Power Mag but I'm not sure if they will do another.

Any ideas?

Chad

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah cali has some strict diesel testing etc. I'd check the local laws concerning your smog tests etc and what you'd have to have to legally pass (Diesel cat, particulate filter, etc.). Of course if you run 100% Biodiesel you wouldn't have to sweat it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
afaik you CANNOT put an older epa approved engine into a newer vehicle. you will have to put a 2002 or newer 4bt into it. i dont believe the 4bt was epa road stamped that recently. thats why cummins sells RECON engines that meet the year stamped epa junk.

so a 88 recon engine may be reconned this year but it meets 88 epa emissions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cummins makes and epa stamp for late models!!!!????

afaik you CANNOT put an older epa approved engine into a newer vehicle. you will have to put a 2002 or newer 4bt into it. i dont believe the 4bt was epa road stamped that recently. thats why cummins sells RECON engines that meet the year stamped epa junk.

so a 88 recon engine may be reconned this year but it meets 88 epa emissions.

Does cummins offer newer engines that can be put in on road cars in california? Does anybody know what form number from the dmv that I need to pick up for a 4bt swap into a gas chassis?

Thanx in advance for your time and effort.

·
Registered
29 Posts
re:B3.3

I have read about a B3.3 4 banger....not much info avail?

Jason

·
Registered
258 Posts
From my research, and this may have changed a bit since I researched it, here is the basic info I got pertaining to replacing engines.

Terminology (VERY important to keep track of!):
Engine replacement: Replacing a worn out engine with the exact same engine.
Engine change: Replacing an engine with another engine offered from the factory for that vehicle. An example would be replacing a worn out 305 in a GM truck with a 350 or 454.
Engine swap: Replacing an engine with one from a different make or model.

General guidelines are that an engine can be swapped if either of two things are met: The engine has to be from the same year, or newer, vehicle, and retains all emissions equipment from either the vehicle or the replacement engine. OR an older engine can be used, but all emissions equipment from the vehicle must be used. An example of this is if the 305 in a 1985 Chevy truck was replaced with a 1980 350. The 350 needs to have all of the emissions equipment that was on the 305.

Diesels fall into a different category, and as far as I know (last time I checked) it was illegal to swap a gas engine with a diesel. (That is, replacing a gas engine with a diesel in a vehicle that was never offered with a diesel). This came about because so many people were using the old laws (all diesel being exempt from emissions testing) to swap diesels into just about anything. I believe in CA it would be allowed to install a Cummins into a GM truck that was originally offered with a diesel, but it would have to meet any emissions standards of the diesel truck it was going into.

Tale all of this with a grain of salt. Much of my research was sketchy, since nobody was able to give clear answers when I investigated it a few years back, including emissions testing officials. Its pretty hard to follow the law when nobody knows the law, including the people who are supposed to enforce it.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts