Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a Cummins 4bt in a 1951 or similar Ford F-1?

What did you have do to make it fit?

I would use a manual transmission, properly a NV4500, since it seems like its easy to bolt up to the 4bt.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it's a 4wd, you're probably going to have to lift it like the rest of us. If it's 2wd, I'd ditch the I-beam and go with a mustang II suspension. You don't really have to worry about height - those things have oodles of room. My brother has a '54 and I think I could work the underground mexican railroad using just the engine bay.

The NV4500 is one of the more popular matches seeing how it came with the 6bt in the Dodges.

See here for dimensions of the engine, grab a tape and measure it out!
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9886&postcount=3

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is plenty of room, you shouldn't have to modify much. I would keep the I beam. They look better, ride and handle fine if properly set up, and a mustang II is too wimpy for a 4BT, especially in a truck since it is going to haul stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is plenty of room, you shouldn't have to modify much. I would keep the I beam. They look better, ride and handle fine if properly set up, and a mustang II is too wimpy for a 4BT, especially in a truck since it is going to haul stuff.
I agree the I-beam looks better, but I'm thinking of ease of maintenence. If you ever had to drop the pan, you wouldn't want to have to pull the whole engine just to do so. And mustang II setups aren't wimpy - guys use them in rods with big blocks putting out stupid torque - sometimes double the 4bt range. Like and I-beam, you just have to know how to build it right :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree the I-beam looks better, but I'm thinking of ease of maintenence. If you ever had to drop the pan, you wouldn't want to have to pull the whole engine just to do so. And mustang II setups aren't wimpy - guys use them in rods with big blocks putting out stupid torque - sometimes double the 4bt range. Like and I-beam, you just have to know how to build it right :)
Pulling the pan would not be possible with the Mustang II crossmember.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its pretty easy to drop the I beam if needed. Doesn't take much. May not even need to unhook brake lines depending on how much room you need. Some times just jacking the truck up to remove the load from the axle is enough.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have seen a picture of a NV-5600 behind a 4B series. I think its on here somewhere, maybe Andre's pictures. Your have to do some looking. The tranny looked bigger than the engine Paul
Yes Paul it was Andre's and the NV5600 looked nearly as big as the 4BT, it was F%$%$*G huge.

Gaza

1 - 10 of 10 Posts