Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
I'd have to differ with you on the ZF transmissions vs the NV. The NV4500 is basically the old NP435 with an OD unit added to the rear. The gear ratio spread in 3rd and 4th are not ideal. Works OK in the 6bt but that engine has a lot more torque than most 4bt's. As far as smooth shifting, I've driven a ZF S5-42 320,000 miles with zero issues. Not sure where you got your prices on adapters but $3K is way too high. A lot depends on which ZF you plan to use. The SB Ford Cummins adapter/flywheel will work with the SB ZF. To use a diesel model like came on the 7.3 which has the best gear ratios will require an aftermarket kit which is in the $1500-1700 range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I removed the side cover off the pump to see what's going on. Inboard lever does move the rack not the outer one.

Do you have any diagrams of the internals that show what the other lever does?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally found some info and pictures. Also went back and found out how the pump works.

Rack is pulled forward with solenoid or cable on the shutdown lever, after engine starts the governor pulls rack to idle, throttle lever then acts against governor to pull rack forward depending on load or throttle postion.

Here's a ton of info if anyone else is wanting to learn.

Video explaining basic operation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Shop inspector, waiting on parts now like mounts and various other fabrication things. Got the throttle sorted last night with some brackets, I'll snap a few pics later.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
Looks like you're getting it in order. Throttle cable looks nice. Are you going electric or mechanical on the shut down setup?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For now I'll put a cable, havent been able to find the bracket that bolts to the side of the pump to hold the solenoid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Slowly rounding up parts. A truck bed trailer i own has a 9 inch rear end that will be torn down and used on this project. Need to see what pinion it has and order a 1410 yoke.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
The solenoid mounting bracket is a Cummins only part. Unless you could find a pump shop that might have one on a junk pump, Cummins is about the only source. Another possible is Case industrial tractors. If they had it the part number would be J900590. I spotted one company, MinnPar, that sells 3900590 for $43.78. Don't know if that's high or low. Not a part that is often replaced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Converting the truck to manual trans, also put in the brace from bronco graveyard to prevent any future issues with the master cylinder firewall crack. Luckily I had a parts column for manual trans in my stash and picked up a pedal set at pick n pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
Now, if you could find an instrument cluster from that series truck for a diesel, you'd have the diesel tach and a fuel gauge that says "DIESEL". I owned an '86 F250 diesel and it would have been the same dash as your '84.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep 80 to 86 trucks are all the same. Fuel gauge never said diesel but I do have a spare diesel tach cluster, the cool filler neck tab that says "diesel only" and the dash bezel for diesel with the wif warning and wait to start where the cubby would be. I kinda like having the cubby though as my wallet fits exactly in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Engine is mounted, need to drill two holes for the new trans mount in the crossmember. Ended up using a energy suspension Chevy low profile mount, bolt holes line right up with the nv4500 case but crossmember bolts are closer than a ford. Engine mounts are farmstrong. Drivers side is unmodified but passenger one had to be narrowed by 3/4 inch and angle changed to match the sharper angle of the passenger side ford crossmember.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
I thought the fuel gauge did say diesel, but it's been 30 years since I had that truck. I know the fuel gauge on my '90 F250 has the word "DIESEL" on it. The '83-86 says "Diesel Fuel Only" just below the tach. See photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thats right, I forgot the face plate says "diesel" id like the tach to work in both my 6bt 350 and this truck but the conversion is very expensive. Wondering if the timing cover could be drilled and add the ford idi sensor ? The idi gets the signal from the injection pump gear teeth which would probably be the same as a cummins. Maybe when I pull the cover for the kdp ill look into modding the cover for a sensor.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts