Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Alternator that was on the engine was no good, converting to a 3g ford. Made an upper bracket today, probably add a piece of plate on the top as well to keep the flex down. Also had a friend help me make an adapter to convert from the electric speedo drive to my ford cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
On the Ford 9" there are several variations. The one that was in my old '73 was the HD model with 31 spine axles which were a larger diameter. Found that out when I had to replace the wheel bearings one time and they were quite expensive. There is also nodular "N" model which is the best of them. My '71 Torino GT with the 429 engine had that one.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
When you look at the 9" units the N case may not show up. Those only came on the high performance cars. If you find one you might buy it even if the width wasn't right. Those things are rare and expensive. Easy to spot as they have a large N on the front. There was a later model 9" with the WAR case but it isn't the same as an N. Here's a good article that give all the low down on them. https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yep, 2 vertical webs indicate an "n" case is the easiest way to spot one. All aftermarket 3rd members are based off the "n" pretty much and may be cheap brand new.

Next time I visit that yard I'll keep my eyes peeled for one could also mix and match housings and 3rd members to get what you want.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Have to be careful. The WAR cases also have 2 vertical ribs but they aren't nodular cases. The main ID is the big prominent "N" on the housing as well as the 2 ribs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Been a while since I posted but it's nearly complete. Few more wires to connect and loom and then it'll be drivable daily. Also if you've ever wondered if you could fit an f250/f350 sway bar up front its yes. Only need two additional holes drilled after lining up the rear two of the brackets. Handles much better now.

Attachments

61 - 71 of 71 Posts