Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 F150 super cab 4X4. Am going with a ZF5 trans, BW 1356 transfer. I may change the rear 8.8" to 10.25" Sterling and convert the front D44 TTB to 8 lug using Chevy knuckles and spindles. 16" wheels with probably 295/75 tires. Probably a 2 or 2.5" lift. With 3.08 gears it will be turning 1700 at 70 mph. No real serious off road or towing. A complete body off resto with maybe a front clip from a mid 90's. I'm going to try an HY35 turbo with a slightly turned up pump with air cooler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Man

Was just wondering how the swap was going. I just found this website and I am just reading up on this stuff. Would like to know more.

By the way I have a 89 Bronco that I might convert.bounce

Patrick

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it has not progressed as fast as I had wanted due to some other stuff going on. I've decided on some changes, I want to do a straight axle swap using a '79 D44 front and want a Ford 9" in the rear. Same 3.07 gears but 9 x16 (36" OD) STA Super Lug tires. 5th at 70 will give about 1560 rpm's. On secondary roads or loaded I can run in 4th at 1760 @ 60.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey 52wrench

Good to hear you are still working on your truck. It seems to me that those rpm's would be low to me. I think my final rpm range if I were to do mine would be in the 1750's or 1800's doing 70 mph. But its your rig. Then again I could be totally off. I would second the notion with going to a solid axle. That TTB wont last long.

Keep us updated.

Patrick

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AUBronco - Yeah, I just got done reading the thread on mpg/gearing, maybe the 1560 @ 70 will be too slow. But then a couple guys said it really sounds nice at 1500. I've got some time to think about it as I just got the 4BT bottom end together. Then I have to rebuild the ZF5 before I start tearing the truck apart. Been playing with the Harley too much lately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey 52wrench

Well dont let me change your mind I was just pointing out that some of these guys were saying that these engines like to run in that 1700-1850 maybe 1900 range is there sweet spot. I had two 6 cy cummins and both of them got nice performance and gas (actually it would diesel) milage at running about 1900 rpms.

I hear you about working on your Harley. This Bronco is my play truck and I am debating on whether or not I should take it on.

Patrick

·
Registered
84 Posts
What is the M5R2? I have not heard of it.

thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good to see ya over here Dustin
Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definatly a cool site. I like all the new ideas and tech they have here!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some pics:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More pics. The mounts aren't finished yet. Need to complete welding on driver's side and make spacers for passenger side to mid-mount holes along with cutting clearance for coolant elbow and turbo drain.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vehicle before entering surgery. Total restoration. Box is getting scrapped, aluminum flatbed to replace it. Also repalcement D44 front and 9" rear going in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
52Wrench

Give details please. Still trying to get my stuff striaght before I dive into this. Trying to get all the parts so that this will go easier. Did you have any clearance problems with the firewall. What are your plans for the rest of it.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No probs at all with firewall or tunnel clearance, keep in mind this is with the M5R2 tranny. I don't think the ZF would be a problem though. I used the stock tranny crossmember in the stock location. To couple the tranny to the 4B I used the Ford flywheel housing from a p30. Next step is to get some heavier and longer front coils, fab some radius arms for the D44 and get it and the 9" rear mounted then work out the driveline alignment before I finalize engine height. Then remove cab, sand blast frame then I am going to fishplate both frame runners on the outside with 1/8" plate so if I ever want to make this into a 3/4 or 1 T with D60's I'm not concerned about frame strength. Also there was a moderate amount of corrosion. I am going to run 3.07 gears with a Detroit Locker in the front and probably an Eaton limited slip in the rear, reason being the front is where the weight will be over the locker. Rock Crawler steel 16'" wheels. I am still debating tires, what I really want is Denman 305/85 R16 Coyote A/P 10 plies. They show up in there 2006 catalog and I read on TDR that you can get them from Nat'l Tire so I'm calling them tomrrow. If I can't get the Denmans then probably use STA 9.00 X 16's bias or Power King 9.00 x 16 bias. I want a tall but narrow tire. Once the chassis is done then I'm putting a front clip from a mid 90's on and cut out the rust on the cab and weld in repair panels, then paint. The box will be scrapped for a flatbed, either aluminum frame with aluminum diamond plate bed or alum. frame with hardwood bed, haven't decided yet. I may stick one of those lightweight pop top campers on in the future for travels into northwest territories, BC, Alberta and Alaska. If the 3.07's are too high for that use then I'll put on some smaller diameter tires. With the 3.07's and 9.00x16 tires it should turn 1680 in 5th with the M5R2 and 1600 with a ZF5. If I go with a camper I'd probably stick the ZF5 in it with 275/75 r16's which will put it at 1800 in 5th at 70 and 1860 at 60 in 4th. But I'm a long ways from that.:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frame is out, TTB front end is off, sand blast next step then start beefing up the frame.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I'm doing, putting a '79 D44 straight axle under it, as seen in one of the pics above, along with a 9" rear. The frame has some moderate corrosion in spots. any other frame I get around here will probably be the same or worse, I oiled this frame a few times over the years and it helped but the salt just eats things up around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
92 Bronco 4BT

... To me, The 4BT is pretty light and doesn't make much power. The 250/350 suspension and a 60 front seam very overkill unless you really beat the truck.

You can even bolt 8 lug outers on the solid 44 front to match a sterling rear if you don't like the 8.8.
Was thinking of similar project with my 92 Bronco - since it is basically a shorter F-150, would you think the 4BT to be underpowered for similar application?

If not a 4BT, what would be slightly better?

Thanks,
TAZ bounce

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hot dipped frame

Just to let you guys know I'm still around, here's a shot of my frame after I got it back from the hot dip galvanizer. I boxed it from the front cross member to a little past the forward rear spring perches. The frame for the flat bed will stiffen the rest of it. Now to start reassembling it then start on the axles.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts