Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has done this swap? Dose anyone know what transfer case is used? I would like to change to a manual but might keep the auto if it will hold up to the 4bt to keep the cost down. What are your thoughts? It currently has a 351.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I wasn't sure what the transmission was that came in that year truck, and I didn't think that it hold up to the cummins. I guess then I would use the ford 5 or 6 speed. Does anyone know if the stock transfer case will mate up to the ZF6 or ZF6?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The stock transfer case will mate to a ZF 5 speed.
Either ZF S5-42 or S5-47 model transmission will work with the Small bell/Windsor Ford pattern.
The six speed ZFs are not available in Ford small bell pattern. That and the output to the transfer case is 24 spline, vs your current T-case is 31 spline input.
Consider the cost of keeping the Auto. It will need a standalone electronic transmission controller and a torque converter to match the 4BT's operating characteristics.
Personally I wouldn't want to spend all that money to make the E4OD work, then have to do a costly rebuild when it lets loose down the road.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
From what I've seen, the S5-47 is modular pattern, not small block. They have an F8XX part number, one year after Ford used it's last pushrod gas engine.

It's not hard to put a manual ZF or M5R2 in your truck. The parts from 87-97 are pretty much the same and plentiful. You can mate a ZF S6-650 to your 31 spline 1356 t-case. Takes replacing the mainshaft though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The S5-47 is available for either Windsor pattern; Modular; or the diesel and 460 variations.
The ZF literature specs S5-42 as 1987-1995 Model Year.
S5-47 units as 1996-1997 MY for the Windsor pattern.
Then S5-47M only behind Modular V8/V10 from MY 1999-till Ford went to 6 speed manuals with the gas engines.
The six speed is out in terms of cost of both the transmission and the necessity to use a custom made adapter right around $800 not including the flywheel.

Yes, in the long run it will be cheaper to switch to a manual transmission. The headaches involved with keeping the Auto would surely add up.

A few quick figures with the manual transmission:
Pedal assembly from 92-96/97 truck $??
Master cylinder $60 & safety switch.
Slave Cylinder $70
Hydraulic line $40
Clutch kit $150
Flywheel resurface $35
Lengthened rear driveshaft, shortened front. $??
Transmission and rebuild components. $??
Shifter boot

Lookup some info on standalone transmission controllers for the E4OD, Bauman makes one, I'm sure you'll be way over a grand in both the controller and torque converter. Not to mention time spent wiring and tweaking the operating parameters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts