Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to this sight and am thinking of putting a 4bt in my 99 silverado.i am wondering if anyone could tell me what would be necessary to complete the swap. i know that i want a 5 speed manual and i would like to eliminate the ecu and as much of the wiring as posible to make it as easy as i can. thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i have been browsing for a while and havnt seen anything pertaining to a newer bodystyle truck if you know of a thread that could help could you post it

·
Registered
915 Posts
99 is pretty new and I dont think there is any info on this site for that exact application. Mook must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. If you have the later body style (1st year of new frame design), then you will be flying sole. Good news is that there is some info on NV3500 5 speed you probably have. If it is a 3/4 or 1T old body style, there is some info here.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Not to be a stick in the mud, but....

hi im new to this sight and am thinking of putting a 4bt in my 99 silverado.i am wondering if anyone could tell me what would be necessary to complete the swap. i know that i want a 5 speed manual and i would like to eliminate the ecu and as much of the wiring as posible to make it as easy as i can. thanks
I'd say you might need to back up a step or two..

If you're in Dayton, then you're in the E-Check area. In which case, you may want to investigate the ramifications of doing the swap WRT being able to register the thing before you do anything else.

From what I've read of Ohio's E-Check, they might be OK with swapping engines (if anyone knows for sure, chime in!), but you still have to meet the emissions standards & testing for the year of the vehicle. Diesel vehicles 1997+ in Ohio are required to pass OBD II testing. The 4BT, being a full mechanical engine, won't pass muster for that. You might be able to do it with an ISB, but those are harder to find and pricey when you do.

Ohio EPA info on engine swaps: http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/echeck/other_programs/modifveh.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts