Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, now that is awesome... :)

I'll work on the pictures when the tornadoes blow out of my area. It was originally 4wd and we ran it that way for a long time. We changed the transmission about 6 months ago and went 2wd because we never really used the 4wd. Both 4wd and 2wd transmissions were T5's out of a chevy. We used the original factory AC and Power Steering. All brackets were homemade. Also, it uses an alternator that originally came in a chevy luv because that particular alternator has a vacuum pump on the backside. the turbo housing is orginal (Frito Lay Step Van), though the insides were swapped out of a turbo off of a Komatsu 4B. That helps produce boost at lower rpm. I get good power and boost starting at about 1500 rpm. We used the original 8.8" rear end, but I swapped the gears from 3.27's to 2.73's out of a mustang. Seems to be ideal gearing for this vehicle. I get 32 mpg and am only running about 1850 rpm at 70 mi/hr. Most everything else is original explorer. With the original fuel tank, but all the stuff taken out of it, it holds about 24 gallons, so I can comfortably go over 600 miles between fill ups.

Thanks for the interest. I'll answer as many questions as I can. My plans for this summer are to remove the engine from the explorer and install it in an '01 quadcab Dakota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
now i know it can be done im going to do it

·
Registered
232 Posts
suggest this be moved to the Ford forum?

·
Registered
232 Posts
BTW it's nice to hear from the owner of this truck. The close up of the engine under the hood at the top was the wallpaper on my desktop for months!

·
Registered
11 Posts
very nice swap man. i9m plannin and researchin a 4bt or 6bt swap in my 96 ranger 4x4. now my guestion is what do you do to register the vehical and e-check?? and did you have to do anything different with the axles or brakes to support the extra weight??

·
Registered
191 Posts
have you already removed the engine? what will you do with the explorer?
I didn't remove the engine. I ended up trading my Father in Law the explorer for a rebuilt 4b that is now in my dakota (pictures to hopefully come soon).

·
Registered
191 Posts
very nice swap man. i9m plannin and researchin a 4bt or 6bt swap in my 96 ranger 4x4. now my guestion is what do you do to register the vehical and e-check?? and did you have to do anything different with the axles or brakes to support the extra weight??
In Alabama, they don't even ask what motor is in the vehicle. If its got a VIN, you've got no trouble registering it.

To support the extra weight, just a spring spacer was added to stiffen the front springs. No tother suspension work was done, and I had not trouble at all with it. Same story for my father in laws 2wd 88 ranger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Alabama, they don't even ask what motor is in the vehicle. If its got a VIN, you've got no trouble registering it.

To support the extra weight, just a spring spacer was added to stiffen the front springs. No tother suspension work was done, and I had not trouble at all with it. Same story for my father in laws 2wd 88 ranger.
what about e-check though?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I've got a 94 explorer 4x4 and i was going to do the swap. I'm just wondering how long it takes and what all i will have to custom fabricate. Like other than the motor and tranny, what else will i have to change?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey I've got a 94 explorer 4x4 and i was going to do the swap. I'm just wondering how long it takes and what all i will have to custom fabricate. Like other than the motor and tranny, what else will i have to change?
It's not an easy swap. Fabricating the oil pan will be the hardest part. You just have to try it and see what you need/want to change. I ran a lot of explorer originals like power steering and AC, but that meant that brackets had to be made. Read on these forums about the options you have and go from there. Also, I didn't use any lift at all, so had to be very careful there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not an easy swap. Fabricating the oil pan will be the hardest part. You just have to try it and see what you need/want to change. I ran a lot of explorer originals like power steering and AC, but that meant that brackets had to be made. Read on these forums about the options you have and go from there. Also, I didn't use any lift at all, so had to be very careful there.
Do you think it is worth it or would i be better off just getting another truck?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you think it is worth it or would i be better off just getting another truck?
I think it is well worth it if you have the mechanical ability to do it. My father in law did mine, but having done my Dakota now I see how much work it is. If you can do it, you'll love it. Can't beat the mielage either.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts