Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it is well worth it if you have the mechanical ability to do it. My father in law did mine, but having done my Dakota now I see how much work it is. If you can do it, you'll love it. Can't beat the mielage either.
Ok thanks. How close was the oil pan to fitting? Do you think i'd be able to get away with a body lift? If not i can fab up a pan easy enough but i'd rather just lift it. Sorry to ask so many questions i just want to make sure i have all the bases covered so i dont get in over my head.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok thanks. How close was the oil pan to fitting? Do you think i'd be able to get away with a body lift? If not i can fab up a pan easy enough but i'd rather just lift it. Sorry to ask so many questions i just want to make sure i have all the bases covered so i dont get in over my head.
I just finished my ranger, which is pretty much the same engine compartment as the explorers. I don't think even a 3 inch body lift would give you enough room to fit the 4BT without also doing either oilpan, crossmember, or firewall mods. It's tight. The easiest/most recommendable is probably to shorten the oilpan sump (front to rear) and deepen it (top to bottom) like he said. One other thing to keep in mind- if you go with a ford transmission setup, you will most likely have to notch the frame or clock the starter housing for starter to frame clearance. And then strengthen it of course.
In my experience there is not one major roadblock that makes one of these swaps difficult. It's all the little things that add up and frustrate the heck out of you.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's not an easy swap. Fabricating the oil pan will be the hardest part. You just have to try it and see what you need/want to change. I ran a lot of explorer originals like power steering and AC, but that meant that brackets had to be made. Read on these forums about the options you have and go from there. Also, I didn't use any lift at all, so had to be very careful there.
On my swap it was a close call on which was harder- engine mounts or oil pan. :grinpimp:
So is your Dakota on the road now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished my ranger, which is pretty much the same engine compartment as the explorers. I don't think even a 3 inch body lift would give you enough room to fit the 4BT without also doing either oilpan, crossmember, or firewall mods. It's tight. The easiest/most recommendable is probably to shorten the oilpan sump (front to rear) and deepen it (top to bottom) like he said. One other thing to keep in mind- if you go with a ford transmission setup, you will most likely have to notch the frame or clock the starter housing for starter to frame clearance. And then strengthen it of course.
In my experience there is not one major roadblock that makes one of these swaps difficult. It's all the little things that add up and frustrate the heck out of you.
And its those little things that are going to kill the project. i was thinking of just grabbing a 5-speed and T-case out of an old ford truck but i wasnt sure about clearance issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
On my swap it was a close call on which was harder- engine mounts or oil pan. :grinpimp:
Yep, on the road now. Check out my signature.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oil pan was definitely the hardest thing on the Explorer. It is very narrow in the back and had to bulge out underneath the bellhousing to increase capacity.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Can you get me some pics of the modified crossmember that would bo great Thanks. :dustin:

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
tdart

Nice build on the explorer. Is the manifold flipped to the front then a custom crossover made that the turbo is bolted to? Is that what I am seeing?

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cool ranger, I posted over on that thread, looks like he spaced the turbo down lower on the ranger, any reason?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cool ranger, I posted over on that thread, looks like he spaced the turbo down lower on the ranger, any reason?
Its not actualally lower, I just think it looks lower because he made the crossover physically larger for less restriction. We don't think restriction was a problem, but just eliminating the possibility.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I love the Exy swap, gives me more motivation to do mine! I have a 01 with a SAS, I should have all the room I need.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts