Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a REALLY good mpg truck. Since none really exist, I was thinking of making one.

Has anyone done this? How hard would it be, and would the 4bt fit in both trucks?

Basically, I want an ext cab truck that will get over 30 mpg, and that is a 5 speed. I've read a little about a TDI in a Tacoma, but haven't found much on it.

If anyone has anything on a small diesel in a newer mid size truck, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm pretty sure can get JDM toyota diesels off of ebay. This may be an easier swap since the transmission and everything might bolt up...

just a thought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
4bt, T100, Nv4500

Its been done. I've got one in my driveway right now. Put in by a farmer and brought to me to wire and hook up speedo and tack. He used an nv4500 and then put a mucy 4speed in backwards behind the nv4500 to use direct and third as an overdrive box. His rough estamant of milage without a working speedo was over 40 mpg. I'll post some pictures later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was this in a T100? And is it a 4x4?

So the guy put the 4bt in the truck, and got it drivable, and you have to do the wiring?

How does that work with the mucy 4 speed backwards connected to the nv4500? Wouldn't that make the whole assembly really long?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I'm pretty sure can get JDM toyota diesels off of ebay. This may be an easier swap since the transmission and everything might bolt up...

just a thought.
I don't think the Tacoma is sold outside the US, let alone as a diesel.
The current model Hilux bears similarities to the tacoma, but it's only got a 3L diesel in it. I've driven one and wouldn't swap my Isuzu 4BD1T for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
4BT, T100, Nv4500

Yes it is a Toyota T100 with a 4BT and a Nv4500. It is two wheel drive with two trannys back two back. It is long ,the secound lever comes up at the back of the front seat. The cross member under the motor was also lowered. The jury is still out on the secound trans. It seems to work fine but on a long run it starts to squeal and get hot. Ether a bearing going, or the the trans cant take it. This farmer did such a nice job with the instal if he could do wiring he be a contender on monster garage.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't think the Tacoma is sold outside the US, let alone as a diesel.
The current model Hilux bears similarities to the tacoma, but it's only got a 3L diesel in it. I've driven one and wouldn't swap my Isuzu 4BD1T for it.
good to know, it was just a thought. IIRC the motors were about the same price as a good 4bt dropout.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I asked the question and googled this same truck/ engien combo and bang I found it lol... so what the verdict I am affraid of doing modes on a monochassis and was wondering if the T100 lends itself to a good donor vehicle?? anyone have pictures of their swap to this truck?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its been done. I've got one in my driveway right now. Put in by a farmer and brought to me to wire and hook up speedo and tack. He used an nv4500 and then put a mucy 4speed in backwards behind the nv4500 to use direct and third as an overdrive box. His rough estamant of milage without a working speedo was over 40 mpg. I'll post some pictures later.
This I gotta see.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what about a toyota 14b-t ? they seem to go alright.and are a bit more compact than the cummins. if you don't want to cut the body, maybe look at some smaller engines.

·
Registered
232 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong guys, but since the t100 is so young (introduced '93) wouldn't even the most lenient smog station throw a fit about the diesel? I hate the EPAs ignorant stance on our little passion, but I would hate for someone to make a really cool lawn ornament.

Of course, this thread is VERY old. Thumpmeister hasn't posted in 6 months :rasta:

·
Registered
139 Posts
what about a Chevy S10 with a 4bt

well if a toyo can be a pain what about a chevy s10 to slap regular D60, 4bt, 700r4 and a 205 tcase? again my biggest build issue is the lack of a chasis. that mono "chasis" I feel won't hold as much abuse as the railed chasis. I have welded onto frame before a gazzillion times and never had a crack issue etc and they were one of the best mudding truck down here hell we even welded the spider gears to the carrier and made our own detroit locker for the cost of the welding rods. never broke a damm thing either.. (long story on equipment) anyways, I like the comanche but would like a small truck that i can build old school. has anyone made an s10 to solid front axles with a 4bt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well if a toyo can be a pain what about a chevy s10 to slap regular D60, 4bt, 700r4 and a 205 tcase? again my biggest build issue is the lack of a chasis. that mono "chasis" I feel won't hold as much abuse as the railed chasis. I have welded onto frame before a gazzillion times and never had a crack issue etc and they were one of the best mudding truck down here hell we even welded the spider gears to the carrier and made our own detroit locker for the cost of the welding rods. never broke a damm thing either.. (long story on equipment) anyways, I like the comanche but would like a small truck that i can build old school. has anyone made an s10 to solid front axles with a 4bt.
Check it out!
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1631

1 - 16 of 16 Posts