Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been searching and searching and havent found anyone who has put a 4BT in a toyota Mini truck yet. Ive got a 89 4x4 with a worn out 3.slow and have been looking into a "better engine swap". Being a diesel mechanic by trade the thought of a 4BT cummins is very interesting to me. I know the engine can have a chevy bellhousing bolted to it so I can get either a chevy trans (nv4500) or go with advance adapters toy trans to chevy engine bellhousing. I think physically the engine will fit, but if I could get any advice from someone who has swapped this engine in something would be great. Like what about engine mounts. Ive read somewhere they use Chevy motor mounts??? If this is correct then I could use advance adapters mounts again. What about radiator size? There are radiators out there that fit in Toys that cool a small block chevy or ford would that be good enough? How about a fan, if the engine is to long would a electric pusher fan be enough to cool this beast down? Any advice and facts about the 4BT would be really appricated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this isn't very helpful but I think I remember seeing a mini truck with a 6bt or 24 valve cummins a few years back on the internet. I'm pretty sure I'd saved it, but I think its on another computer that no longer works.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Just to let you know I will be starting on a 81 Toyota 4x4 in late Aug!

spec:
4bt Cpl858
sm465 trans,toy t-case
4:10 gears on 37'' iroc tires.

it's a tight fit and will need a small body lift to clear,plus a spring lift as well.A stock or mod rad that will cool a small block will enough to cool the 4bt and a eletric fan will be needed.

I will post up more info later.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if it fits in an 81 it should fit a 89. How are you doing the motor mounts? I plan on doing a SAS soon but may need to lower the lift if a body lift is needed. Did these motors ever come with a/c? I guess since there so close to the 5.9 I could just get A/C mounting off one of those and make it work? What about power steering? Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would be concerned about the weight of a 4bt in a mini truck. That's 800 or 900 lbs.

I've been thinking of doing a small truck (eventually). Something like a Toyota or Chev S10. I think a VW diesel would be perfect. They can be modded and can put out some really good power. Check out www.tdiclub.com. They have a forum on engine swaps. Lots of good info.
As mentioned, check Acme Adaptors.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well if it fits in an 81 it should fit a 89. How are you doing the motor mounts? I plan on doing a SAS soon but may need to lower the lift if a body lift is needed. Did these motors ever come with a/c? I guess since there so close to the 5.9 I could just get A/C mounting off one of those and make it work? What about power steering? Thanks for all the info
The engine mounts will be made to fit around the round liquid 4bt isolators,The a/c parts can be taken from the 5.9,as well as the p/s / vac set as well.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
14 Posts
You know Toyota makes a 4cyl diesel right? We just sent out the pump/injectors and are doing minor maint. stuff to an '85 at the dealership I work at. I'm sure it pales in performance comparison to a 4BT though ;) .

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
Toyota do a whole swag of engines to fit those trucks.

The most recent would be the best choice, 3.0litres, common rail with a variable vane turbo.
Even the 3.0 from a few years ago with a VE pump and wastegate turbo is an excellent engine, my brother owns one. Puts out about 100kw and 300Nm of torque.
It doesn't have a big wave of torque that my Isuzu 4BD1T has, but it's smoother, more flexible and in a truck that's 3/4 ton lighter.

If you go back to 96 vintage they had a few head cracking issues. But most toyota diesels did. Because it's such a common repair, the new heads are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
443 Posts
jeep for thought

I would bet that the drive train on a mini truck is just as hardy as a jeep YJ, TJ or CJ(and I believe they receive 4bt swaps well) if in good working order and have seen mini's loaded heavy and worked hard. I think I should handle the load, the fit is an issue and I wouldn't recommend rally style driving. I've been amazed at the V8 packin' mini's and how hard they get worked before they break. Keep us posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts