Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't find any related posts on this conversion on the search (big surprise). I'm looking into doing a 4bt swap into an 81 amc eagle sx/4 i've had sitting around. I would like to use a factory amc manual t-4 or t5 trans. It currently has the t4 4spd.
The eagle basically comes with a jeep engine/trans combo, but probably has different motor mounts. Those I can make myself.
Has anyone heard of anyone else attempting this swap? I'm curious as to what I'm really in for. Maybe even a suggestion for a better engine choice for fit or clearance issues? Any feedback (even the "wtf?" that I'm expecting) would be appreciated. Thanks guys, I'm glad i stumbled across this site. I'm hoping to get some good info and ideas.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm curious what axles are in the Eagle?

I had a buddy years ago that had one, I was surprised one day when he was upgrading the valve cover... OEM was plastic! He spent a fair amount to get a metal one, what an upgrade...

·
Registered
500 Posts
That thing has a car like frame etc. Are you planning on running a hood scoop? - cause I doubt it will fit without some surgery. Those eagles had IFS (PITA for 4BT's) not to mention the additional weight of the engine would probably exceed the GVW of the car. The Jeep T4/T176 T5's from the early 80's are junk. I'd never put one behind a 4BT. I've seen two tear up behind a 258 I6 due to bearing/shaft issues and gear jumping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Killer idea

I always thought that would be a cool swap to do. I thought of using a turbo vw diesel for size and weight issues, but I think it would still work. Good luck and send some pics.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
After the stuff I've seen done here, "WTF" now only refers to "Will That Fit?". Which is often answered: "Yeah, I've got a Sawzall."

That said, I agree that a VW diesel may be an easer fit. I don't know if adapters are currently available to go VW to AMC, but I'm $ure there'$ a $olution to that..

Maybe put Audi Quattro running gear in the thing? IIRC, VW engines bolt up to Audi stuff..

Also, I don't know if the VW diesels have enough oomph to satisfy in that vehicle (though they can be turned up quite a bit, too..) Anyway, just another path to contemplate.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
Those AMC Eagles had a lot of front end problems when they were new. A fellow at work had one and it was always in the shop for things like u-joints and wheel bearings. His had the inline six cylinder engine. Another friend back then had a small repair shop and there always seemed to be one parked around the corner with a front wheel off and one side of the front end drive line removed. I think it would be a bad investment and end up as a real money pit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Reads like a better front axle would be called for(D44 perhaps?). Thus you've got an engine, transmission, transfercase, and front axle all converted. At that point it didn't matter that the car was 4x4 to start with so you could do this same project on just about any vehicle that will take the weight. So is the Eagle really the car/truck you want to do a swap with that will cost thousands even if you do absolutely everything yourself? If yes, then go for it. If not, keep looking.

Also, when you tire of it and want a new project, it won't fetch much beyond the value of the engine/trans setup vs other vehicles with a well done 4BT swap that may sell for a value greater than the sum parts.

Ken

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Reads like a better front axle would be called for(D44 perhaps?). Thus you've got an engine, transmission, transfercase, and front axle all converted. At that point it didn't matter that the car was 4x4 to start with so you could do this same project on just about any vehicle that will take the weight. So is the Eagle really the car/truck you want to do a swap with that will cost thousands even if you do absolutely everything yourself? If yes, then go for it. If not, keep looking.

Also, when you tire of it and want a new project, it won't fetch much beyond the value of the engine/trans setup vs other vehicles with a well done 4BT swap that may sell for a value greater than the sum parts.

Ken
Another way to look at it is, if the shell is cheap enough, when you tire of it, throw it out and move the drive train to the next shell.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Another way to look at it is, if the shell is cheap enough, when you tire of it, throw it out and move the drive train to the next shell.
QFT - build you a solid running gear (like maybe a bronco frame/FS truck frame) and slap the body on top. Go play, when damage occurs discard body and replace!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think the unibody frame will be that big of a deal, there are a few Grand Cherokees running around with 4BT's and they are also unibody trucks of course both would need some beefing up but most stcok c channel frames do. I think the real problem will be keeping the stock t-4.t-5 trans alive if you can adapt it to the 4BT. They are week behind even a stock AMC 232, 258 inline 6 thats in most eagles. The IFS will diffently have to go unless you want the 4BT sticking out of the hood by a foot

·
Banned
24 Posts
I agree w/ the shell & 3/4 or 1 ton chassis/drivetrain route. Ditch the t4 and torsion IFS - no chance

Find say a Ford w/ np435, T19 or T18 4spd OR Scout w/ T19/D20 combo...have to find something w/ rotted body - :( - why else would you put the Eagle on top of it?

Passenger side drop tcase?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I'd like to see the camaro conversion - the monte carlo has a full size frame, not a uni-body. I wouldn't put something that heavy in a uni-body frame. Torque flex would rip it in half:eek:
Found it!

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...owering-89-chevy-gmc-pontiac-cummins-4bt.html

Modern unibody cars are a LOT stronger than the ones in the 70's and early 80's. The Camaro in question is an 89. And if the TPI 350 didn't torque the Camaros too much, I don't think a 4BT is gonna hurt it. Power ratings on the 350 TPI were 245 hp @4400rpm and 345 ft·lbs @3200 rpm. True, the weight on the front end is a bit much...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Found it!

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...owering-89-chevy-gmc-pontiac-cummins-4bt.html

Modern unibody cars are a LOT stronger than the ones in the 70's and early 80's. The Camaro in question is an 89. And if the TPI 350 didn't torque the Camaros too much, I don't think a 4BT is gonna hurt it. Power ratings on the 350 TPI were 245 hp @4400rpm and 345 ft·lbs @3200 rpm. True, the weight on the front end is a bit much...
To each his own I guess, I dont see the logic using one of these (A 4BT) in a car. Trucks yes, Cars, I'm going to have to disagree :)

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
To each his own I guess, I dont see the logic using one of these (A 4BT) in a car. Trucks yes, Cars, I'm going to have to disagree :)
Who said anything about Logic?? :dustin:

Though I have always thought it'd be a good match with a 40's or 50's car to shove in a 4BT or 6BT. Something that you'd want to use for easy cruising or such. Killer economy and that one, all-important thing: Different.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts