Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the site, new to the Cummins world. Was wondering if yall could point me in the right direction. Im currently lifting this beast about 21" or so to clear 44s. I figured since im already going all out with the suspension, I might as well go all out with the drivetrain. This was the kind of setup I was looking for. I would like the 4BT built well enough to give me around 350 - 400 hp. An automatic tranny with a nice overdrive for the highway, and a t-case to bolt up. (pref a 205 ford drop or something just as strong, or stronger) Keep in mind that I will need a stout drivetrain to push those 44s. This will be my daily driver, but I would also like a little bit more power for the trails or when I feel like like putting the petal to the metal!! If yall guys could point me in the right direction that would be awesome!! Thanks in advance for yalls help :D

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You're not likely to daily drive a 400 HP 4BT.

200HP would push your little exploder around plenty fast and would be less likely to melt.

You can put a Ford 205 right to a C-6 or E4OD. If you have the bucks, have an E4OD built and run an aftermarket controller. You could also go with a dodge tranny, but you'll spend more to mate up a 205.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Money isnt too much of a prob at this time. im perfectly fine with 200hp if itll spin those tires. what all would I have to do to get that motor to those specs? Also what gears would I need to be running so that my rpms are where they should be while in od?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a suggestion here, do your lift first, then after your done and everything works correctly, swap engine/tranny/tcase.

And no, 200 hp wont spin 44s. What tires are you going to use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on finishing the lift first. It is almost complete. Ill post pics soon. Is there a site that sells 4bt performance parts?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Dodge Cummins hi-po stuff is 4BT hi-po stuff. The parts that don't interchange you'll have to build yourself, exhaust manifold, intake plate, etc.

If you really want to spin 44" rubber on asphalt I'd think a big pressure prepped, ported head, cammed inline pump engine with twins would be a start.

Just a thought... How unfeasible is it to think of stuffing a 6 in there? You might lose your ash tray and heater controls....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Uhhh just for the record its not Horspower that spins your tires its torque. like lets say you have an engine with 120 hp and 400 fb-lbs of torque u know dang well it will light those tires off no problem. And from experiences if you try to spin 44's on a stock ford rear you will snap an axel shaft. so if you wana spin 44s just remember your gear ratio and tire size play a huge part in what is delievred to the pavement. And i jsut have one question....why would u want to spin 44s?

·
Registered
121 Posts
44s are a big tire to DD. I drove 39.5 super swampers for a while and it was kind of a handfull. We just lifted a superduty 10" and used 37" bfg KM2 and that drives like a dream. I see they have 40s out now they prob would ride good as well.

http://www.pdrdiesel.com/catalog/4BT_Cummins-194-1.html

PDR has good prices and has built some 500-600 hp 4bts. The problem is driveability becomes an issue at that level. 200 to 300 hp is still a reliable hp level.

As far as trans, I have had good luck with the chrysler 47RH and 241 DHD t-case. If you dont want a slip yoke rear go to a NV 271 with a fixed yoke rear they are stronger and about the same price. There are multiple trans builders that can build a 47 to hold 600 hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts