Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 years ago I swapped a Nissan SD-33 Nissan turbo diesel onto a YJ (Wrangler) frame, YJ body tub, CJ nose, dash, and tailgate.

The Nissan started blowing lots of blue smoke, that combined with its increasingly expensive parts, meh power, and non overdrive transmission prompted me to look into something different.

I picked up a Recon 4BT with about 60K miles, new Dodge NV4500 off ebay, and a Atlas II t-case (by the time I added a 4:1, rebuild kit, twin stick, and HD output shafts to the D300, I was nearly at the cost of an Atlas).

This site has been EXTREMELY helpful, my $20 support check went in the mail today.

Here are progress pictures.

Cutting 1/4" steel for motor mounts:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cut 1 3/4" from right side of Warn skid plate to make room for exhaust.

Painted motor

EGT probe

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lower clutch pivot for Dodge Power Wagon clutch master cylinder

Drivetrain in with temporary skid plate:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sweet stuff dude. keep it up. I am practically dieing to do my swap.

·
Registered
365 Posts
wow, great work with the welder and pipe work my friend. what is that the you used to coat the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Radiator hoses went extremely well. It is a two row universal Ford radiator <$200 on ebay.

The top hose is Autozone number 61252 (I think it is also a Goodyear number too). Fit after trimming a couple inches off the rad end. Engine side is 1.75" ID, rad 1.5" ID.

Lower hose is comprised of two hoses number 61323 is on the engine side (2.25" ID), reduced to 2"). The rad side hose is number 61252 (1.75" ID on each end).

The local plumbing shop hooked up up with a street elbow and reducer which I soldered together, BTW, copper is not cheap $21 for the two pieces.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PHEW!!!!!!!!! IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!

bounce bounce

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Nice job on everything! The motor mounts are sweet!

The SD-33T that you took out used to be a good motor that would get a Land Rover 109 3-Door that belongs to a friend up to 77mph WOT on level ground. We hit 88mph once on a down hill with a tail wind and we were worried we might go back in time!

Not sure how much faster the 4BT will push you, it only has like 4hp more than the SD-33T... and like 90ft/lbs more torque :D

Can't believe how well your camera picked up the LOUD NOISE!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great job. same guy from jeepsunlimited?
Yup. :)

Nice job on everything! The motor mounts are sweet!

Not sure how much faster the 4BT will push you, it only has like 4hp more than the SD-33T... and like 90ft/lbs more torque :D
Thanks,
I once got my SD33 up to 80 MPH (downhill, lol), it cruised comfortably at 64MPH with 35" tires and 3.73 gearing, but was up there at something like 2,300 RPM, the NV4500 should drop that significantly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

The Dodge PowerWagon clutch master was pushing too much fluid, depressing the clutch pedal only 1" disengaged the clutch and pedal pressure felt like a vehicle with non-power brakes. :eek:

I swapped in a Wilwood .750" master cyl ($50), it is nearly identical to a mid 80's CJ-7 4-cyl clutch master.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...260-1304&N=700+400196+310249+115&autoview=sku

Now the pedal feels FACTORY, like a new Jeep. bounce

BTW, I am using a stock 1998 Dodge Ram slave cylinder, 1" diameter IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Questions?

Excellent pictures! A tremendous help.

How much room do you have between the rear of the Radiator and the front of the fan pulley? In inches. Looks like 6"?

How much between the firewall and rear of cylinder head?

And finally What angle (fore aft) is the drive train sitting at?

I am just about ready to install the drive train in mine, and even though I drew everything up on Computer, I am still looking for verification by someone who has been there in the real world. Randy

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
JP cover

Just wanted to say that I read the article in JP about you like forty-eleven times. It's what made me start researching a diesel swap for my YJ, and eventually led me here. I'm hoping to do a 4bt swap sometime in the next 2 years. I just have to figure out what I'm doing (I've never messed with diesels before), then start buying some parts. At least I've got some time to do my research. Thanks for the inspiration!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Okay, we're WAY overdue for an update - how is this setup working for you & is there anything you'd change?
Do you like it better than the previous powerplant?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Nice build and I am glad you posted the link to this in "4bt in a jeep wrangler", I had never seen it before today. I would have never found it on JU either, it is the only Jeep site I avoid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts