Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here of this>? i have a engine. thinking about buying a 4x4 th400 with a 208 and putting it in. with some danna 44s,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Might be a bit large for a Sammi. I've seen them with big blocks though so anything is possible.

Why not just do a TDI motor? There's plenty of swap kits for them and it's fairly cheap or are you looking to be different.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that it would be fast. and one of a kind. I also LOVE CUMMIN's and Cant think of any thing i would rather drive then a Samurai. That leaves a black cloud. I think i can do it for about 2000-2500 to build it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think that it would be fast. and one of a kind. I also LOVE CUMMIN's and Cant think of any thing i would rather drive then a Samurai. That leaves a black cloud. I think i can do it for about 2000-2500 to build it.
I've got a sd22 that would probably be better suited for that than a 4BT.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but i love the samis and no one has a cummins in one. So its not got a hemi its got a cummins. lol

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You did ask me if I had one ? Mine isn't stock , it's also not done yet .
I added 15'' to the rear and 6'' up front Cummins 4bta ,Dana 60 ,14 bolt ,Th475 with reverse manual valve body and compressoion braking ,Dana 300 ,H1 12 bolts ,42 '' TSL ,full cage.

Will be done soon.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added 15'' to the rear and 6'' up front Cummins 4bta ,Dana 60 ,14 bolt ,Th475 with reverse manual valve body and compressoion braking ,Dana 300 ,H1 12 bolts ,42 '' TSL ,full cage.

Will be done soon.
On what kinda of car?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

Will be done soon.
Hmm.. Maybe it's time to come over for another visit. :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
depends on how soon you want it done and how much time you have to work on it. if you got alot of time put the cummins in it, but it your tight, like most ppl, then get a vw. you could have that thing runnin again in no time :D

·
Registered
70 Posts

Will be done soon.
That's a big friggin sammy!
I demand pictures.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Uh, your missing a wheel.

Also, I would not put a Cummins in that thing with stock Sammy axles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've had several Sammys (somewhere around 8 of them...lost count though) and have modified them a fair bit, including one with a modified GM 2.8 V-6. Most were running 33" rubber, although my buddy had 36" Swampers on one. I'm a firm believer in matching an engine to the vehicle, although you can get away a little by matching the vehicle to the engine. Personally, unless you are going to do what Crewcab59 did and stretch the wheelbase a fair bit, extend the nose a little, and swap in larger axles (you did mention 44s), I would find a smaller, lighter engine. And as someone who has owned Samurais with various amounts of modification, for 'wheeling, you can't beat a nearly stock Sammy set up with a good suspension.

Once you start playing with the wheelbase more than a few inches, swapping in larger (and heavier) axles, engine, and t-case, you end up with something that is the size and weight of a Jeep. And a Jeep has nothing on a Sammy off road. I've owned both, and even my wife has commented on how much better the last Sammy I owned did. My current trail vehicle is a '98 Cherokee XJ with lockers, 31s, (will be going higher, it used to be my wife's vehicle, and she had to be able to drive it), a few custom suspension mods for more articulation, and a couple other things. Although it does very well off road for a vehicle with 31s, it has a much tougher time in our New England terrain than a stock Samurai. A Samurai almost floats over deep, thick mud; it will happily go through water over the hood if you set up a home-brewed snorkel; it will skim over rocks that hang up heavier vehicles; and it will out turn and maneuver any other 4x4. Add weight to it and it will sink in the mud; it will hang up on rocks much easier; and a much longer wheelbase will screw up the turning radius.

Another thing to look at is the weight balance. A Samurai is very light in the front, and is just as happy going up or down a steep hill. Toss a Cummins up front, and it will want to tip on it's nose. Having a much longer wheelbase will help, but then you get back to losing the turning radius.

All of this is based on the terrain we have here in New England- lots of ledge, thick mud, deep water, washouts, steep hills, and very tight trails. Depending on where you live some of what I said won't matter. If I didn't need the extra room for camping gear for two of us, plus our dog, I'd still be 'wheeling a Sammy. Someday I'd like to build another just for local, New England use, and use the XJ for longer trips involving camping.

Just think about what its going to do to a 2050 pound vehicle (the hardtop is more like 2150) if you yank a 100 pound engine and install a 750 pound one.

Jim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts