Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've got a 93 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L V8 that I use as a trail truck/DD. Now as you can imagine the gas mileage isn't too great with that size of a motor under the hood. However on the trail, it's great, lots of torque and if I need it I can throttle down (I don't often mash it as that leads to broken parts).

Now, I've seen DieselZJ's truck and from what he's posted, he seems happy with the swap. However I don't know if he wheels the truck much. This is my worry with doing the swap. I know it will have the torque to crawl but up here in the great white north we've got to go through mud to get to the rock and in the mud you need to get those wheels spinning. With a red line of 2800, can the 4BT be up to the challenge of being in a trail rig? (The truck will be a dedicated wheeling rig one day).

Also, since the truck is ODB1, how much of an issue will I have getting all my gauges to work correctly?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 4BTA will work better than the V8 for what you are doing.

You can get higher rpm injector pump springs if you want to rev it higher.

There are people out there with tuned 4BTA making over 400ft-lbs torque and over 300 hp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
After seeing some vids, the 4BT will definately be the hot ticket.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have wheeled the snot out of my trucks with 4BTs, for what its worth, they wheel awesome. That said I don't think I would swap out a good V8 for a 4BT, gas milease or not. It is a lot of work and cost and will not pay for itself...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's where I disargee, diesel is still cheaper then gasoline is here. Even if the price is the same diesel will still offer better gas mileage.
Also my V8 is getting a bit worn with close to 300k kilometers on it.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
No worries I am obviously already converted :) But the costs are not cheap for the swap and do no pay for themselves... Average swap cost is at least $6G because of engine cost, adapters, and millions of small things.. It would take a long time to pay it back...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely understand that.
This is definately something I will slowly work on.

Plus I'll get to put in a beefier transmission at the same time.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay, I agree with DieselCruiserHead that this conversion is not for the light of wallet. I haven't run the numbers yet to see how many miles I will have to drive to pay for the conversion. I have gone through 2 V8's in my Jeep CJ-7 and decided to go to diesel for the fuel economy, torque, and exemption from PA emission inspection. I love to wheel a lot, and the 4BT is my favorite engine for it! I'm not a mud runner personally, but when I get in it and need wheel speed all I have to do is shift up another gear and let the engine do what it does best.

I don't agree that my 4BT has more power than either my 304 or 360 AMC engines did, but it has way way way more torque and that is where it's at! There is ridiculous torque off idle on the rocks, and when slinging thick mud, plus I never have to shift out of overdrive when climbing the long steep mountain hills on the way to the trails.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm by no means a mud bogger, personally I hate mud (I've had the screen name for ages now). However, living where I do, I've got to deal with mud to get to rocks that I want to crawl over.

I've figured out a lot of the parts that I need. Just a matter of gathering everything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I plan o nswaping out my Jeep 4cyl for a 4BT I got nuttin to lose I get 10MPG now with it and if the wind is blowing too much it wont go much over 50mph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts