Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering a swap into a 1995 f250 4x4. The truck is mainly used to haul stuff on the bed, and rarely hauls much of a trailer (5k tops). I have another truck that can haul about 20k, so I'm looking for efficiency here, not hauling capacity. I wad considering swapping in a 4bt with zf5 diesel tranny. I was going to leave it at the stock 105 HP. Will this be enough? Will a 4bt get much better mileage than a 6bt in the same application? I like the lower weight of the 4bt, but have the room for the 6bt if it's needed. I think the 4bt is the same weight as my 460 block, so the springs will be left where they are, although I'm upgrading to a one ton front end.

Does anyone have a 4bt in a truck? Is it enough power? What kind of mileage do you get? I'm looking for 20-25 mpg under normal driving.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My 1943 Dodge Carryall with a 4BTA CPL 857/NV-4500 loaded with 20 extra gallons of diesel and a lot of spare parts was just about 7300 pounds. All the power I could want, runs at any legal road speed and I got a average over 3411 miles of 25.9115 mpg. The 4BTA is absolutely stock.

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'll just go with whatever one is cheapest. It appears that there is a mileage benefit, but not too much of one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i think milage is about 5mpg diff between a 4bt and 6bt. a 6bt should be about 1000 dollars CHEAPER. at 3 dollars a gallon that would buy 333 gallons....
If you look on Dove Bid about once a month they sell bread trucks all over the US. I bought a 1993 Grumman, 4-speed, dually, with 123K on it and I drove it 1500 miles home. I paid 1700.00 and the best part is the rest of the vehicle is aluminum, which at current prices I'll get $900 to a 1000.00 dollars for it.

Check it out they just finished an auction but will have another on 7/18/07 10:00 AM Here's the link.
http://dovebid.com/auctions/seo/dtx/index.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts