Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I contacted Deisel Care & Performance, regarding injectors and got a reply.

www.Dieselcare.net

My stock 4BT CPL 858 injectors are #3912468 and Billy Mitchell there said they are 7mm X 14mm head. These cross reference with the 6BT 275 HP and 300HP that they sell. That translates to roughly 180HP and 200HP with the right turbo and exhaust. Probably too much for my rig as I may be doing a lot of towing, like fulltime RV, but wanted to post info in case you can use it.

JimmieD

·
Registered
645 Posts
JimmieD- My injectors have 2468 on them but they are 9mm tips. My engine is CPL858 but it is a Cummins recon. The data plate injector number is 3802131. He said the 3912468 was a 7mm tip right? I wonder if the 7mm and 9mm had the same last four digits but a different first three digits? It also says "KDAL59P5 363" on it. Does anyone know if that means it is injector number 3632468?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think I answered my own question. If all else fails, read the book. :) In vol 2, pg 6-26 of my shop manual it says " The last four digits of the Cummins part number are used to identify the injectors" and is shows the four digits location on the injector, the numbers on top in line with the bottom of the wrench flats but on the curved surface. So that tells me that the 2468 injectors are only 9 mm tips, which I know mine are. I wonder if Dieselcare meant 9 mm tips? The 7mm tip injectors can be used in a 9mm head with an adapter ring but the 9mm injectors can't be used in a 7mm head. I think the 7 mm heads are less prone to cracking than the 9 mm heads because of the increased distance between the injector bore and the valve seats. I wish I would have known that before I bought a new 9 mm head, I think I could have bought a 7 mm head and stuck new 7 mm injectors in it. :confused:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Another thought - maybe 7 mm tips can be put on a 9mm 2468 injector body??

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He wasn't the only one to say these are 7mm. Called Cummins Customer Service @ 1-800-343-7357 and the rep said that "Those are the wrong injectors for that engine." He couldn't tell me why the were 'wrong' of course. He also said they were 7mm injectors.

By the way, in about a 30 minute conversation that's all the info I could get out of the Cummins rep. He just talked in circles and wouldn't give me the info that was right in front of his face on the computer screen. He refused to tell me what other applications used those injectors, or what the 'right' injectors were, or the HP rating of the injectors etc. etc. etc. Real jerk, and I hope he reads this! If he is any example Cummins Customer service REALLY sucks!

My engine is a 105HP CPL 0858 so I also kind of doubt these are 275 & 300 HP injectors that Diesel Care referenced them to. I had also asked him about the 190 injectors so maybe he just got confused on the whole issue. I know I am!

Seems like almost everybody in the business is real busy hiding their deep, dark technical secrets. Have yet to get open, straight up answers to questions from anybody, anywhere! Can't even pry out info with verbal crowbars.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Then my injectors must have had 9 mm tips put on the 7mm body. Yeah, I've found that Cummins is real tight with the parts info they will give out, they don't want to give out the info unless you buy it from them. On my pistons, I could see that the outside of the spray pattern was somewhat outside of the bowl, the tips of the "pedals" are about 3/8 -1/2" beyond the OD of the bowl. Does anyone know if that is normal for the stock injector and timing?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Say, 52Wrench, you might want to start a new thread on that like 'Piston Spray Pattern' so more people will see it, instead of the info getting stuck at the bottom of a thread about injectors. I've got a question or two on it if you do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know if that is normal for the stock injector and timing?
I was told by Piers Deisel Research that it needs to be just inside the bowl for best fuel use efficiency .

·
Registered
197 Posts
I could see that the outside of the spray pattern was somewhat outside of the bowl
How did you determine this?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think I'll take a picture of the top of one of my pistons and see if the pattern is visible. If so, I'll try putting it on here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
He wasn't the only one to say these are 7mm. Called Cummins Customer Service @ 1-800-343-7357 and the rep said that "Those are the wrong injectors for that engine." He couldn't tell me why the were 'wrong' of course. He also said they were 7mm injectors.
Piers Diesel Research can answer this issue. I bought 7mm Bosch 190 injectors and got 7mm I.D. x 9mm O.D. copper sleeves that also had a built in washer that duplicated the original 9mm 4bt injector spacer. So the bowl spray pattern should be the same.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, DW, I'll check it out further!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have a pic of a piston somewhere... Here we go, I'll post in the other thread too if you start one...

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can one of you guys tell me what I have? The number on the injector is:

KDAL59P2 550245 bar (second set of numbers in smaller print)

Thanks alot for your help, Wayne

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a pic of a piston somewhere... Here we go, I'll post in the other thread too if you start one...
Could be a timing problem (too retarded) or a spacer problem. If the copper spacer at the bottom of the injectors is too tall, then the spray is very wide by the time it hits the piston. This is not normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts