Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the cost to rebuild an inline-pump? I found some on ebay for $400 for a core. Is that a good price?

·
Registered
292 Posts
do you already have an inline pump already and its toast? if you do then a rebuild would be aroun d $1200 -1500 a bench test alone is $150 if not then remember you will need new lines, new front gear and timing cover as well new injectors as the pop off pressure for inline pumps is higher than for the old ve's

a used core should be 400 remember delivery valves and cylinders as a set on the p pumps are not cheap cost more than $400 and they are about the only thing that gums up and gives up especially with WVO running through them, but once they get into the pump replacing the plungers, delivery valves cylinders and all the springs ect in the p pump parts alone get upwards of 600 - 700 real quick on a 4cyl pump then add time, they rarely fail if you have a pump bought as a core, be sure it came off a turbo'd rig and not a NA, if its off a NA walk away there is no boost fueling advance. Air fuel control (AFC) diaphram otherwise for $400 id buy it and put it on yours in place of the current in-line if yours is gunny bag.

the inline pumps are sometimes refered to as million mile pumps so id check other things before looking at it as failing. most common thing that goes out and people thinki it is the pump is the fuel overflow valve. $50 part that keeps 30-40psi of fuel in the pump before it enters the plungers to be pressurized going to the injectors, if it drops in pressure the pump acts weak and the system starts failing to perform but even if it fails entirely rarely does the pump itself fail

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it would be a $400 gamble to try and upgrade to an inline later. I'm guessing it'd be a better investment to just find another running engine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at post-completion of my CJ8. Running stock for a while. I'd eventually like to overhaul/bomb it out somewhat. The inline pump seems like the way to go for a strong HP build.

·
Registered
292 Posts
then i think buying a 4b with the inline is the way to go, imho
I agree, you are money ahead to start with what you want than to go that route.

the rotory will support alot of hp, also watch which inline you get some have pretty small barrels and delivery valves which can limit your hp otential significantly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts