Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
im new with the whole 4bt motor but have owned a few dodge cummins pickups, so i have a lot of questions.
1. will it be possible to have a 4bt cummins swap into an 04 jeep? and be a legal DD?
2. i would perfer the p pump so what different vehicles have that motor in it or where can i get one from?
3. what are the major obstacles that have to be over come to put a 4bt in a jeep?
4. what price range will a swap like this be? i have all the tools to do it (machine/ automotive repair shop).
5. i want the p pumped motor but is it really that much better than the ve? im really just going for mpg but i do want it to be able to get up and go.

so theres a few questions for you guys any input is very much appreciated and any opinions will be helpful. i know theres other diesel motors to swap but i like cummins and ive always wanted a cummmins powered jeep and really wouldnt want to go to the trouble of putting in any different motor. i really want to do this but its going to take me probably more than a year from now to get started on it but i figured i would get started now and have all the research figured out and know some what of the parts and pieces i would need.
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats really the only thing holding me back is the smog part cause here in the next few years they are going to be really cracking down on diesels big time. yea thats a good point about the older vehicle but i want a diesel in the jeep i already have.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had to go through this also. I have an 01 Wrangler sport/auto. I would love to have a bad boy jeep with a 4bt in it. I've got a friend that has one and I drool every time I get near it. He has a big advantage on me as he owns his own transmission shop and has a good welder and the knowledge of all running gear components. (that could probably be found here with a lot of research).
Aside from the bureaucratic red tape (as my in progress swap is a late model trk) here are some other things I considered.
There are a infinite # of ways you can spend your money (For me, hard earned) on with a jeep with a 4bt in it. You can conceivably go all the way from slapping a stock 4bt into a stock manual trans jeep with a few adaptors that wouldn't cost you the farm. You would have to drive it like a 90 yr old lady with a broken leg if you didn't want to break parts.
Then there's the other end of the spectrum. (the cool factor:D) you could easily spend $50,000 on a Jeep without batting an eye. Trust me on this. My friend knows what he is doing and has lots of junk yard connections and does all of his own work and makes a lot of his own parts. He even has cut down a Dana 60 front so it is stock Wrangler size. He is running 38 or 39" tires on his daily driver and doesn't have a steering stabilizer because he doesn't need one. He understands steering geometry. I tell you all of this because he's told me he has more than $18,000 in just his suspension alone.
I know that's not a ton of money for a lot of people and I'm not trying to keep you from building your version of the baddest Jeep on the planet. I just know I won't be spending anyway near that kind of money on my quad cab 4x4 Dakota and still have the "cool factor" when I'm done.
Good luck. Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts