Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
418 Posts
Put a dab of neversease or a heavy spray grease on the moving sections of throttle linkage for less wear over long term.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
418 Posts
lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haha, that reminds me of this
Screenshot_20200401-221124.png

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Pulled the fuel tank out. I thought this year had an in tank fuel pump, but it did not. I'll put a new sock on the pickup tube and new fill and vent hoses on it and put it back in. It needed drained anyway-had 5 gallons or so of bad gas in it. I think I'll hit that filler opening with a hole saw so it will accept diesel nozzles at the pump better as well. Good time to do it while its off. Marked the supply and return lines clearly too! Guess a shot of rustoleum wouldnt hurt anything...

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Beware. The fuel sock is bad news with diesel fuel unless it is specifically designed for it. Those things get clogged with use and cause a lot of grief. No sock is preferred. Ford diesels used a metal strainer. Some of the GM's had a sock but it was made special for diesel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Fuel tank is reinstalled with no sock. All supply and return lines are connected with new fuel hose and clamps. Ran the last brake line to the rear. Now I need to run all my brake line fittings with line wrenches to snug them down. Installed some new LED headlights with directional signals built in. They look good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Now for two questions that have arisen.

While looking over everything preparing to start her up, I noticed this line going to the AFC is broken. Dont think I did that, and it looks like an old break. Can anyone give me a part number for that line? Secondly, the truck ran good when I pulled the motor. What symptoms will this line being broken cause?

Is the line just pulled out of the banjo fitting perhaps? I ran out of time to play with it. Happy Mothers Day!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
As shown earlier, I have swapped my oil pan to a rear sump instead of front sump. Never gave a thought about the dipstick until reading a post the other day that spoke about moving it to the rear hole. What is involved in doing that? I see the location, but havent poked around in there yet. Hopefully I dont have to finish drilling the hole as my pan is on and the oil is in. Allen plug?

·
Registered
667 Posts
As shown earlier, I have swapped my oil pan to a rear sump instead of front sump. Never gave a thought about the dipstick until reading a post the other day that spoke about moving it to the rear hole. What is involved in doing that? I see the location, but havent poked around in there yet. Hopefully I dont have to finish drilling the hole as my pan is on and the oil is in. Allen plug?
Probably a welch plug (think: mini "freeze plug"). I remove them by drilling a small hole in the center, threading a sheet metal screw into the hole and using a claw hammer or wonder bar to prey it out. Use axle grease on the drill bit and sheet metal screw to prevent metal shavings from falling into the engine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
It was in fact broken. I read through some info here and on TDR and I replaced it with some Weatherhead fittings and nylon airbrake line. I had the NAPA numbers and the Weatherhead numbers, and the NAPA guy rudely said "dont have em, cant get em", so I went to a big truck shop and the guy was gone for 3 minutes and came back and asked if I needed anything else. Less than $7. The straight adapter that screws into the AFC housing is 1/16 NPT and I read that the AFC is actually 8mm x 1, but with a bit of teflon tape (which I always use), mine tightened down perfectly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
A bit of pumping the lift pump lever, a little cranking, a little starting fluid, cracked the #2 injector line til I got fuel, hot wire to the solenoid, and....

She fired right up.

Only ran it for 20-30 seconds as I dont have a lower radiator hose yet. Time to start wiring.

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
I'll try to help you on the AFC pipe. If I had your serial number I can find the exact part that was on your specific engine but this should be OK. This is off an engine CPL767. The parts in this diagram are as follows:

1. 3910004 Air Fuel Control Tube
2. 3905391 Grommet Seal
3. 3918188 Sealing Washer 2 required
4. 3910265 Male Adapter Elbow
5. 3924724 Banjo Bolt
On some engines that pipe was plastic and some were metal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Lower radiator hose is on, heater hoses on, filled it with water, and ran it 30 minutes or so to let everything get up to temp. It all looks good.

Now to hook up the clutch. My new clutch master cylinder has a typical double flare connection and a brake line fitting fits it well. The slave cylinder from the fed ex truck had a plastic line, and I left about 6" of it hanging there when I pulled the motor out of the truck. The plastic line appears to have been slipped over a barb on the cylinder while it was hot and shrunk on...what are the chances a short hose with two clamps to connect a steel line to that plastic line will take the pressure? Other suggestions? Different slave that has a connection I can attach a steel line to?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
So, what I found is that the fed ex trucks use a typical ford hydraulic slave cylinder, common on late 80's ford F series pickups.The connection on this end is a pinned in fitting that has an o-ring on the end of it. For engine conversions, places like Advance Adapters, Russel, and Earls make adapters that pin in and convert to threaded connections. I was able to buy a kit from Summit that appears to convert from the Ford slave to the jeep master. Havent received it yet, but hope to hook it up this weekend..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I "think" the part number for the clutch slave adapter is going to be a Russell 641001. This will convert the drive pin connection to a -4 AN so a standard clutch line can be connected from any clutch master cylinder. I waited on mine for weeks from Summit, but it now showed backordered to July sometime, so I paid a few bucks more and grabbed one on ebay. Should be here within a week. Driveshaft is ordered from Dennys Driveshafts. I'm working on the wiring / gauges, so I should be ready by the time it arrives to pull it out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Started on the exo-cage. It will be small. Just a tube setting on the rock sliders with 3 bars over the top to the roll bar. No, it will never see off road use, its just for looks but will be built stout out of 1-3/4 DOM x .120 wall-bolted together so the top can come off obviously.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts