Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
When is a GM single wire alternator not a single wire? When it requires a second wire. Turns out my single wire alternator requires an exciter wire (L terminal on 4 wire plug). Went to the salvage yard and got the correct connector, wired it to my ignition, and just like that we are charging, The internet is just full of information.

Definitely going to have to supplement the front springs. Front sits almost 2" lower than the rear. Im looking at add-a-leafs. Drove it last night with GPS speedo, and it runs and drives great at 55-60 mph!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
I installed a set of 3-1/2" add-a-leafs into my 4" lift spring packs, and I think it has done the trick. Why did I pick that one? Well, you cant put a standard add-a-leaf in a 4" lift spring pack, it will just be trying to flatten it back out. 3-1/2" was the closest I could find. Drove it to work today and it hasnt settled down past level, so I hope it stays that way. If not, I'll have to get some custom springs made. No sense in going to the salvage yard for springs to add to a 4" lift...

I have a small fuel drip off the bottom of the injector pump Im going to see if I can find it. I want a 3200 gov spring installed as well, so I may just have a client of mine who is a diesel mechanic take care of that for me and do his magic with the plate and timing while he is at it. Going to read some posts here and see if I want to tackle it myself...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Ive been putting some miles on it. I have a couple of observations. My NP435 transmission is a 1970 or 71 version and it grinds just a bit going into 2nd gear when downshifting from 3rd. I picked up another NP435 with a NP208 transfer behind it out of a 1980 Ford pickup. The plan is to have it gone through while I'm driving the other one and have the Novak mainshaft installed to adapt it to a NP231J transfer case. The 208 is just too big to fit under her, and too long. My 435, adapter, and Dana 21 transfer are 25-1/2" long from the mounting face of the tranny to the rear yoke centerline on the transfer. A 435 with the adapter and 208 transfer is 36-1/8" long. If I use a NP231J with a slip yoke eliminator, that transfer should be around 15", the Novak adapter only 3-1/4", making my overall length about 28-3/4".

The 435 may not be the ideal transmission, and I think you told me that from the git go. It is short however at 10-1/2", and that matters under a jeep. My shift points are:
1st gear-not used
2nd gear-20 mph and 2271 rpm
3rd gear-35 mph and 2070 rpm
4th gear-55 mph is 1870 for cruising, which is perfect
60 mph is 2040 rpm
65 mph is 2210 rpm
70 mph is 2380 rpm
An NP435 without the low first gear would probably be better.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Does it surprise anyone that I am able to run with no fan? I have a new all aluminum radiator, and even in these 95-plus degree days, as long as I am moving, the gauge stays in the bottom one-fourth of the swing. I have not tried sitting still and idling, as I just havent been in that situation yet. I keep looking at puller fans as I suspect that would be better than mounting a pusher on the intercooler, but I'm thinking I may not need one...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does it surprise anyone that I am able to run with no fan? I have a new all aluminum radiator, and even in these 95-plus degree days, as long as I am moving, the gauge stays in the bottom one-fourth of the swing. I have not tried sitting still and idling, as I just havent been in that situation yet. I keep looking at puller fans as I suspect that would be better than mounting a pusher on the intercooler, but I'm thinking I may not need one...
I have an overkill radiator and mine never comes on but only when the ac is on. my fan is just for the AC really.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts