Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I got this stainless elbow with flanges from Himni racing. Not cheap, but certainly a quality piece, and it came with two v-flange clamps and an additional flange for the exhaust end. Fit perfectly and looks like exhaust will run right where I want it to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
My tie rod flip inserts arrived from Ruff Stuff, so I set out to move the tie rod to the top of the arms. I used a 78 Jeep Cherokee long end arm as it had the eye in it for the drag link to connect to, but the taper was on the wrong side with it under the arms...since there was some interference, moving it to the top is a win-win-win. I have used these previously on some other projects.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
To perfectly center my steering wheel and maintain the exact same turning angle both left and right, my drag link has to be shortened by about 2.25". I ordered a tap for the tube today. 9/16-18 is not something I had laying around...
I'll cut it off and retap the sleeve and screw the right hand tie rod end back in. Yes, do not cut off the left hand threaded end unless you have a left hand tap handy!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Put a little paint on the rear shocks and primered the center section of the 8.8. Got the flu and it has knocked me down hard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Got the drag link shortened to perfection. Now I can go through the front suspension and steering and make sure everything is tightened and cottered keyed. I'll mark each finished joint with a paint marker pen so I know what has been gone over and what hasnt.

Finally got to the other end of that 8.8 axle.

A small parts kit is like $5, so how can you justify NOT replacing that stuff?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Finished it up, got the lube in (2 qts gear lube plus 4 oz of friction modifier) and put the cover on. If I get time this evening, those original perches will get cut off and ground smooth, and this puppy is ready to put in. I'll lay it in the spring perches, then establish the pinion angle, and THEN weld the new perches on.

Took this picture mostly for my own future knowledge, but the high pinion 44 front and the 8.8 rear are within a 1/2" of each other in width.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Finally got the 8.8 in place. Just need to glove up and use the diamond saw to cut off those pesky long u-bolts. Then I'll get the rear on jackstands so the weight is on the springs at ride height and I'll set the pinion angle. I'm going with a CV joint at the transfer case, so the rear will be pointed directly at the transfer case yoke. I "think" all the heavy work is done, but the list of plumbing, electrical, and CJ dash swap is still pretty big. Done by Spring?

141 - 150 of 150 Posts