Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
My upper radiator mount incorporates a cross bar with 2 bolts welded in that catch the upper mounts on the intercooler, thus correctly spacing them apart and eliminating vibration. I'll add 2 triangulated braces from the top of the grill back to this bar when completed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Here are a few pics of the engine bay as I progress. Got the remote oil filter mounted on the firewall, just have to have 2 hoses made up and that step is complete.
Lots of folks have "put" a 4bt in a jeep. My intent is to make it look like it came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Clamps all cleaned up and threads chased.

2 upper radiator / intercooler braces. 90 degree vertical angles bent on 45 degree laterals.

Intercooler to intake pipe cleaned and ready for paint.

I relocated the dipstick right after this as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I cut down the long tube from the fed ex trucks turbo to intercooler connection and used the 2 ends to fab my new tube.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Then I cleaned and painted those pieces and put it all together. Also got my remote oil filter lines run, and the upper radiator hose mocked up.

Intake tube will come out right under that 90 on the turbo and just behind those oil lines (you can see the 3" opening on the cobra head). Havent decided yet or played with angles as to whether it will be under the hood, on the fender, through the hood, on the cowl, etc. I'm still looking at it. When I have looked at it long enough the answer will present itself.

Im going to do a little looking for a shorter master cylinder plastic tank as I do have hood interference with this one and with the hydroboost on the factory centerline the jeep master cylinder was on. Nothing a hood lift at the rear or a small scoop wouldnt cure, but I'll see whats out there first.

The "to-do" list is getting shorter. I actually put oil in it tonight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Had to shorten the pushrod from the hydroboost as it had the long GM style and I think this is a Dodge configuration master cylinder.

Painted it up with engine enamel and made up some new lines to the proportioning valve.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
On to the heater core. Why redo everything on the jeep and not replace the heater core? I think I'll drive it in cold weather, but who knows. Getting the plenum box out was a bit of a chore, but new core fit well and my wife helped me get it all lined up going back in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
One thing I've learned over the years for certain...when you build a vehicle from scratch using this, that, and other parts, you MUST keep track of what you used in the event you have to replace it down the road.

This is the master cylinder I ended up with.

And the belt I used. It is snug but I like it. Remember my alternator is NOT in the stock location.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
And my choice of oil and fuel filters. I worked for Affinia, which owned Wix Filters, and I was in their plant in Gastonia numerous times, including the lab, where I saw testing against other filters, and Wix is flat out a superior product.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I'm going for the flat dash more like a CJ, but wanted to keep the dash pad, so I removed everything and will put a new aluminum panel over all of this with new gauges and switches.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Got the jeep throttle cable hooked to the cummins linkage. Just bought the right size ball to fit the jeep snap on link and adjusted the length.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
The factory roll bar in a YJ leans back from the floor behind the seats. I cut it to the height I wanted, and set it vertical behind the top. I cut a pie shape out of the kickers and moved them down about 13 degrees to get them square to the inner fenders. Looks like 2-1/2" spacers will need to be bolted to the original holes in the jeep and then welded to the kickers. That way it will still be removeable with bolts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Reinstalled the hood, and it now closes just fine. Depending on how much motion the engine has, I may have to adjust the clamp on the intake tube.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Installed a new clutch master cylinder, and will have to make up a line and see what is needed to hook the jeep clutch master to the Cummins slave cylinder.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Lets see:

clutch line run and fluid added / bleed
drop the tank and remove the gasoline in tank pump.
hook up fuel supply and return lines at engine
new throttle levers and spring installed
ready to test fire the engine

finish brake line from proportioning valve to rear hose
brake fluid added / bleed
intake hose and filter arranged
heater hoses run
lower radiator hose figured out
water / coolant in
dash
roll bar
wiring
driveshafts
ready to take for a stroll

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
My engine showed very low miles on the odometer, but my throttle levers and breakover spring show a different story. They were very worn. Capital Diesel in Holts Summit Missouri had everything I needed on hand and I picked them up yesterday.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
When you take that top nut off you can get to the first lever and the spring. Before removing the bolted together levers you have to note the clocking position in relation to the slot in the end of the stud. Mine was in the "normal" location based on what I have read.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Of the two levers that come off next, the top one has the splines in it and really no wear areas, and it is bolted on top of the one that has the pin in it that showed a lot of wear. I bolted them back together in the same position the old ones were.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts