Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im want to put a 4bt into my 2002 f150 4x4 with the 4.6L and 5 speed. What will i need to buy? i want to keep the manual 5 speed thats in the truck and just put a 4bt in front of it. I was prolly gonna make my own motormounts and reuse the stock assories just make my own brackets to run them on the 4bt, but what will i need to mate the 4bt to the m5r2? Is there already an adapter and flywheel/clutch setup out there for this? thanks

·
Administrator
4,158 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of issues? i fiured the a/c and stuff would stay the same since ill be reusing the original a/c compressor? the insterment cluster doesnt bother me i plan to put in aftermarket autometer speedo, tach, and the other mechanical guages.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
what kind of issues? i fiured the a/c and stuff would stay the same since ill be reusing the original a/c compressor? the insterment cluster doesnt bother me i plan to put in aftermarket autometer speedo, tach, and the other mechanical guages.
i don't remember exactly, but there are some issues related to the absence of a pcm to send some signals to the gcm in these models newer than '98...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Make some stuff and buy some stuff

im want to put a 4bt into my 2002 f150 4x4 with the 4.6L and 5 speed. What will i need to buy? i want to keep the manual 5 speed thats in the truck and just put a 4bt in front of it. I was prolly gonna make my own motormounts and reuse the stock assories just make my own brackets to run them on the 4bt, but what will i need to mate the 4bt to the m5r2? Is there already an adapter and flywheel/clutch setup out there for this? thanks
You can use the "Ford adaptor" that was on the Ford breadvans to mate to the older M5R2-- worked for me. I used the flywheel that came with the engine and adapter. The clutch is a standard 11" Ford clutch. Since your transmission is for the modular engines, you will need an adaptor from Destroked or other vendor, which are spendy. They can tell you what flywheel to use.

You are on the right track to make your own motor mounts. My '03 Expedition had a 5.4L V8 and the narrow part of the block is much narrower than on the 4BT. So I had to move the mounts outward towards the frame rails to get the Cummins in there.

I re-used the alternator from the V8, since the PCM communicates with it and tells it when it is time to charge the battery. I made my own mount for it.

The AC compressor mounted pretty much in the original position as it was on the V8; but not exactly, so this meant I needed to liberate the refrigerant and cut the steel inlet & outlet tubes, re-route the tubing and re-weld it to the compressor manifold. Still have not done the re-tube part of the job.

I used the power steering pump and vacuum pump combo unit from a 1996 Dodge to supply vacuum to my brakes and other vacuum actuators under the dash. Worked with no problems.

You should be able to get your dash gauges to work by taking off the coolant temperature, oil pressure and crank position sensors off the V6 and re-connecting them to the 4BT. I used a 6BT dampener/crank pulley and machined the 35-tooth pattern on 360° spacings that the Ford PCM is looking for on the OD of the pulley. Then mounted the sensor about 0.025" from the surface of the teeth so my tach works with the diesel engine.

See my build for pictures and ideas: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?15772-2003-Ford-Expedition

You should have an easier time than me with the PCM, since your PCM is already set up for the manual trans; I have to set up some relays to tell the PCM when the manual trans is in reverse and neutral.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
186 Posts
but what will i need to mate the 4bt to the m5r2? Is there already an adapter and flywheel/clutch setup out there for this? thanks
See this thread at post #8 for differences between the older and newer M5R2 bolt patterns: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?10506-Russ-s-M5R2-thread

And this thead for a great discussion on the older M5R2s: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?1838-M5r2/page2

And the Destroked adapters for the newer Ford transmissions to Cummins: http://www.destroked.com/parts/adapter_plates.html

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You might be money ahead selling your M5R2 and getting one from a 4.2L so you can use regular Ford adapter that comes with the 4BT.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i would be if i could buy a good older m5r2 but then i would want it rebuilt and all just cause i aint sticking a tranny in my truck i know nothing about. I know mine is good. The adapter i need is basically 800 bucks. so i think i will prolly go that route then i wont have to worry about finding a 4bt witht he ford adapter on it, cause just in looking most the ones im finding are for gm.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another reason to use the stock transmission in the newer truck is that the PCM communications will not need to be customized. You likely have a gear position sensor for neutral and reverse, maybe more? I don't know, I'm guessing since my Expy will not go into 4L unless the auto trans reports a neutral condition. Since I no longer have an auto, I have to trick the PCM. If you use the stock transmission and the PCM communications is kept intact then you will have less workarounds to create.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Another reason to use the stock transmission in the newer truck is that the PCM communications will not need to be customized.
That's why I said 4.2L, it was used along side the 5.4L and is 100% identical other than having the old 5.0L bolt pattern.

You can pick up a reman or even new for $700-1000 and you could sell yours for $300-500. But since you're having trouble finding a Ford 4BT it's a moot point and probably better to go with the destroked adapter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you guys have the inside scoop on a good place to look to find 4bts? with or without the adapter? i find some on ebay(mostly overpriced) and some on craigslist but do yall know a ood place to look for them? thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no 4bts anywhere....... man this sucks thats all im waiting on to get this thing going. Im seriously concidering droppin a 6bt down in it now because of that. I see the front radiator suport will need to be modified but that shouldnt be that big of a deal. the radiator will need to be moved forward towards the grille about 6 inches as well with the 6bt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jay-- have you tried these "spray fire" craigslist searches? Granted, there are more "wtb" than "for sale-- get it out of my garage" advertisements. But there are some for sale under $3000 out there. May involve a road trip though.
http://www.searchtempest.com/
http://craigzoom.com/
http://www.craigs-list-search.com/

One other idea that you might consider-- an Isuzu. They are easier to find anyway.

Wish you luck whichever way you go.

CR

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
isuzu engines can be a good option... btw you can also try to search for case 4.390 tractor engines that are essentially the same as a 4bt (i don't know how would your local dmv deal with an agricultural engine thrown in a truck, but check it carefully before turn any screw)...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts