Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looking real good!

Oh, The original grill looks the best to me.
It looks like the scout is in capable hands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Scout is in the best of hands.

Randy and Jason do great work, really paying attention to the little things to make it stronger, more durable, and just plain better. I'm also excited to see Levi's work in the next phase. He also does great work! He already has the paint and some of the bits gathered up, just waiting for his turn. He's already built the rear bumper and has been plotting on the front bumper. I'm so much happier to pay my fellow Scout owners and friends to do the work while I'm out of the country, rather than sending my rig to a random shop that I don't know and can't trust.

It seems that I'm going to be stuck with the '79 grill due to clearance issues, but I'm going to hold onto my '76 grill to see if I can ever figure out how to trim and fit it. It's something I can tinker with over time and try, since the grills are effectively interchangeable. But it's not worth holding up the project on such a negligible detail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update to thread above.

trussed rear axle, rear disc brake conversion, hydroboost, power steering pump, sliders, and other bits from Randy and Jason. The 47re PCS isn't installed just yet, as that will be done with the new wiring harness after body work, but there are some preps in place for reference. They also fabbed up a clamp ring to go between the flexplate and its bolts... Apparently Dodge no longer makes them and Cummins was no help either, so they made it.

then the rig was moved to Levi's place and the start of rust repair and body work. He's already cut down the Traveler lift gate and installed the standard SII tailgate, and stripped body down of nearly all external trim as it gets ready for rust repair, prep, and paint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if you think a 6bt would have fit in there? I have a project Terra in route and was thinking of trying a I6 Cummins but don't want to go to far.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A 6bt will fit

It will be tight. It could be wicked fast in a Terra. Should be fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its alive and running, great I might add. We have been too busy building to update its build thread over on the Binderplanet. We drove the truck 4 hours to a show in Charlotte, NC. The truck got just over 25 mpg. I thought you guys would enjoy this.

Just a little video from the trusty iPhone.

Gettin' on it a little.

Easy cruisin' around.

Idlin'

Rollin' coal

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a really nice clean build, great job.
Its really nice to see and hear other trucks with 4bts from the drivers camera view.
Any videos going through rolling hills?

Regards,
Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. We wanted it to look like IH meant for it to live there. I have no more videos but its about to travel the rolling hills from GA all the way to WA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It did go all the way to WA, towing an old panel for about half the trip... And became my daily driver. Got a job back in NC, so it got another cross country--this time loaded with a disassembled 341 DeSoto Hemi and an extra 4bt head and other bits. 10k miles since last June and going strong. Best tank: 28mpg. Worst tank: 23mpg. The return cross country with 1000lbs in the back and going 75-80mph for four days was about 18.5mpg. As long as it stays under 60-65mph, the fuel economy is good... but the 6,000lb flying brick can only do so much at higher speeds.

Some regrets on the build, but nothing major. The 47re with Suncoast valve body and brains was way expensive but it shifts crisply with no RPM loss. In retrospect, I'd have just gone with a NV4500. It just needs a little better oomph at lower rpms than the auto can do, and I didn't want to sacrifice the highway gears.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Don: I have got to tell you,,, you ended up with a REEEEEEALY nice truck! The thing turned out really clean and the overall look is just great. Great stance! Great mileage! Great body work! Great interior work. Just and overall great job! Well done Sir! :D

This is what Corn Binders should have been in the first place.

If you could please answer some questions, as I didn't read every post of the other site.

Did you make any significant performance mods to the engine? I see you have a small A/A intercooler.

Anything done to the IP?

What engine speed are you running at 65-70 MPH?

I hope others take notice of this build as it really raises the bar for a Resto Mod type of vehicle.

Randy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the tremendous compliment. It was a lot of work and a hefty budget, but the final product is pretty sharp.

But while I was the source of a lot of the planning and all the budget, Randy and Jason down at GRC are the ones who deserve the credit. I was working in England for the entire build, and didn't see it in person until it was just about done. It's one thing for me to say, "I want this sort of thing" in an email but a different thing for them to understand my vision and bring it alive. They did a better job, with better attention to detail, than I could have hoped for. It has impressed every single person who knows and respects what they're looking at and the level of effort required. We made a list of everything done, and it's pretty astonishing.

Regarding your questions:
Engine mods: KDP corrected, 3200rpm spring, air-to-air intercooler. The head was pulled after the project was complete and running, decked, valve job, new injectors (I think they're stock or nearly stock, don't remember) due to old injectors being irregular, re-timed with the new injectors, exhaust manifold and turbine exhaust housing ceramic coated, exhaust wrapped to the muffler. I have a noise monitor app on my phone, and in-cab noise before the above mentioned head work and re-tune was ~92dBA at idle and ~105dBA peak. Pretty brutal. Since the completion of the work above, and a little sound deadening applied, that has been reduced to ~77dBA/89dBA, respectively. Still loud, but WAY better-- just ask my wife. :D

Running temp ~210deg, highest boost seen ~22# but typically doesn't go over about 12-13# for normal driving.

RPMs at 65-70mph are in the 2000-2300rpm range. 60mph is right at 1900rpm or so. Will re-confirm on the drive home tonight, just to be sure. The auto makes it a bit of a dog in-town, but it's smooth and energetic on the highway. It likes the highway, and the motor actually quiets down while up at the higher RPMs. Comfortable two-finger driving at 75mph for 3 or 4 hours in a lifted Scout? Yessir.

But the reality is that I'm clearing out all of my rigs. With getting laid off a few months ago, moving, starting a new job, with new family, in a new house, and starting grad school soon, etc. Have to start over. Two A-series Travelettes, an A-series Travelall, a DeSoto Hemi ready for someone's project, parts, a couple of vintage British motorcycles.... ....and yes, this rig too. Just can't do it all, and there are more important things.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
don: So essentiually other than the Gov spring the motor is essentially stock. I am expecting similar numbers from the DeScrambler as far as speed/rpms go But I have 4.10's with 37" tires and a 21% OD.

I am no stranger to long winded expensive builds,,,, see Here's the DeScrambler.

On another note;

I got that you are a busy guy and as far as selling all of your extra junk I have no problem with that.

HOWEVER !!!! Selling this Scout would be a mistake !!!

First you will never get another one like it, and second you won't get what you've got in it, out of it or even close. People appreciate the work, but seldom are they willing to pay what's it's worth or even close. They will take it if they can steal it, but otherwise they will just walk. I have seen too many like this and very few where the guy got what was fair for the vehicle. Watch a Barret Jackson Auction as see how little some of the good stuff goes for, it is appalling.

WE have seen this same thing play out time and time again here at 4BTSWAPS. Guys selling their dreams only to pay bills. IN the end they seldom pay all their bills and they don't have the car anymore either. This is called Lose, Lose.

Figure out another way to get by, and keep your dream. There is no debtors prison here in the US, and if push comes to shove,IE bankruptcy, nobody is going to think an old Scout is worth taking away from you.

I REEEEEALLY hope you will take my advice on this one. I've been there done that. Many here will back me up on this point.

Good luck and I hope you get many many years of enjoyment of of the vehicle.

Randy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This rig is on Ebay, unfortunately.

Details on the listing or on Binder Planet, Southeast Binders Association section, build thread "4bt Traveler build".

Thanks, and happy bidding.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
What a shame. I'm building the exact vehicle except 3.07 gears. I will die before parting with it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Damn, I saw this on ebay this morning and was wondering if it was a members. Hope you get a fair price for it Don.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Don: saw it on Ebay. Are you sure you really want to sell this truck?

Maybe you set the reserve high enough so it will only sell if you get your price?

I am bummed to see that you are selling this truck, I can see selling all teh rest of your junk but this one has been a good soldier for the last year or so, and have been carting you around touble free.

What will you replace it with?

I only hope you either get top dollar, or you see the error of your way and pull out.

Randy

21 - 37 of 37 Posts