• Hell Yeah

• Do it anyways

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I had this crazy idea a long time ago and wanted to see what other people thought about it. I have never done an engine swap before so I would have no clue where to start. Let me know what you guys think. Would it fit? 4x4? transfer case? Transmission? axles?
I'm open to all recommendations.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I'd suggest you look at the specs for the 4bt. it's big and very heavy. Engine might sit 8-10" or more above the hood. Would sort of block your vision. You're looking at an engine weighing 750+ lbs dry. You can put most any engine into most vehicles but with the MR2 you're trying to put 20 lbs in a 5 lb sack, If you wanted to make an MR2 diesel, something along the lines of a VW or Kubota might be more realistic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didnt realize how big the motor was until you pointed it out. I'll definitely check the other brands out.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The 4bt dimensions are L 30.6" W 24.6" and H 37.7" and weight 745-782 lbs depending on setup. The only Cummins engine that might be possible and I emphasize might is the new R2.8 whose dimensions are L 25.1" W 25" and H 28.3" and weighs 503 lbs. Main issue there will be cost which is around $8000 plus transmission adapting. VW diesels have a lot of possibles, some of the Kubota, maybe a Mercedes, and there might even be a stray Toyota or Nissan diesel but those are probably less common. If you browse the net you'll find several VW conversions which seem to be the most likely candidate for your mid engine vehicle. Seem a lot of those conversions have been in the UK. Don't know if we've had one on our forum.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with Char. I believe the VW TDI is your most viable option. I pasted a link to a guy who installed one in a Pontiac Fiero.

I would look for a 1999.5-2003 VW Jetta or Golf with the 1.9L ALH as a donor.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Reactions: Marzz_fz8

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Nicklatech, the MR2 is mid engine. Be kind of hard to stuff a 4bt in the compartment behind the seat and sitting cross ways. No options for the trans/axle either.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nicklatech, the MR2 is mid engine. Be kind of hard to stuff a 4bt in the compartment behind the seat and sitting cross ways. No options for the trans/axle either.
It won't fit due to length, but there was a sideways turbo 400 I think. I don't know if it had the same bolt pattern as the th400.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the only transmission I would consider would be the Cadillac 4T80E. They used them behind most of the the FWD northstar V8's. They're pretty tough and I think would handle a 4BT fine in a light vehicle, even with a lot of power.

In any case it would be a custom adapter and oil pan if the block would even clear enough to mate them together. Big project. better make friends with a machinist.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i forgot about the 4t80e (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts