Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times, but please bear with me...

I'm looking at swapping a 4BT into my '88 Bronco. I've located a 1988 Ford step van with a 4BT and 5-speed manual. The van is located about 300 miles away, and the seller doesn't know exactly what engine/transmission it has. I've heard that the Ford vans with a 4BT had a Small-Block Ford adapter plate (300-6/302/351), and I'm assuming that the 5-spd would be a ZF5. Is this the case?

How difficult would it be to swap the engine from the van into my Bronco, given that I already have a 302? Would my AOD hold up to the 4BT? If I have to swap transmissions, I'm going with a 4x4 ZF5, unless an M5OD would handle the torque.

Also, what have others done, as far as engine mounts? I know of one guy who used 300-6 mounts and modified them as necessary, but I'm not clear on what his modifications entailed.

What other major considerations should I take into account?

EDIT: I just received some pics of the engine and transmission from the seller, and it appears this van has either a T18 or T19...not a 5-speed. Knowing that, I'm wondering if it's even a Ford-built chassis, and whether or not there is an SBF adapter on the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Spend some time gathering parts and reading the stickys. If the van is the right price you can find everything else you need (with a little time) to do the swap, even if it doesn't have the right adapter. I'm finding that every question I can think of has been answered on here, numerous times already.

As far as other major considerations. Be prepared to kick the heck out of your budget. If not with the original swap then with the upgrades your gonna justify shortly there after.

Cheers and good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
...what have others done, as far as engine mounts? I know of one guy who used 300-6 mounts and modified them as necessary, but I'm not clear on what his modifications entailed...
Just 3 weeks ago I swapped out my 302 from an 85 F150 and with removing the old frame mounts, the 4bt fits like a glove, almost as if it was meant to be in there. Since my 4bt had the front mounts on them, all I needed to do was to put down some flat 1/4-3/8 thick plates to bridge the old oil filter removal hole. I have pics loaded on my build post. I had asked around too on the mounts, but before I started over thinking the whole thing, I needed to wait and see what I'd have to be dealing with. So I just removed the old engine, set in the 4bt and then I knew what I had to work with and what needed to be done.

As for my trans, I decided to go with the 4l80e, since it can handle what I plan on having the engine put out. I'm sure my old AOD would have worked (but I would have had to get a ford adaptor...) but running 200hp/400lbf would probably have been on the max side for the ford tranny. I'm now working on getting a controller, so I haven't got to fire up the engine yet since I may have to drop the trans again and have some internal electrical components upgraded.

All of this is 'explained' in my build thread also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
dont mean to hijack the thread but i read hear that if you use the ford chassis mounts with the ford angled adapters it is a bolt in swap?? I am going to start my swap next week and will see if this is true

1 - 4 of 4 Posts