21 - 40 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
On your way...

·
Registered
1 Posts
keep the updates coming I have almost the same project started. found and 86 4bt for $200 at the machine shop now getting heads work and the engine checked out. Have a 2000 dakota a guy overheated and siezed the engine he sold to me for scrap (made sure I got the title). Let me know what issue you have and i will let you know what issue I had and how I solved them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
keep the updates coming I have almost the same project started. found and 86 4bt for $200 at the machine shop now getting heads work and the engine checked out. Have a 2000 dakota a guy overheated and siezed the engine he sold to me for scrap (made sure I got the title). Let me know what issue you have and i will let you know what issue I had and how I solved them.
Wow I guess this isn't as rare as I thouht you really fell into the 4bt deal.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Daw,yes they do need valve adjustments,it is right on the ID tag you had a photo of:010 for intake,)20 for exhaust........

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cummins_diesel_parts_score

Well, folks, I got up very early this morning to retrieve the 47RE transmission. It was so early, that the moon had not set and I got to see the sun rise. Here are the pics along with the transmission and other Cummins diesel parts I scored.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nice score on the parts is it just me or is their some kind of strange aparatus on the tranny pan?
I really like the sunrise pictures
keep it up.
I've been working on my engine mounts should have them done this weekend then its
on to cutting down the dana 60.

·
Registered
355 Posts
:
Nice score on the parts is it just me or is their some kind of strange aparatus on the tranny pan?
I really like the sunrise pictures
keep it up.
I've been working on my engine mounts should have them done this weekend then its
on to cutting down the dana 60.
:hillbilly:O I see now it's the tranny cooler forgive me for being stupid:(

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
:
:hillbilly:O I see now it's the tranny cooler forgive me for being stupid:(
Actually, that is the Tranny "heater" (connects to heater hoses, I think) that is lying next to the pan on the pallet --- the Tranny cooler is in the cardboard box with the turbo, automatic linkage, hoses, and who knows what all else. I really need to dump the box out and take inventory.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Actually, that is the Tranny "heater" (connects to heater hoses, I think) that is lying next to the pan on the pallet --- the Tranny cooler is in the cardboard box with the turbo, automatic linkage, hoses, and who knows what all else. I really need to dump the box out and take inventory.
No actually it is a tranny cooler water temp is lower than tranny temp.
it's just like the aux oil cooler that they run.
I won't have room to put one on my truck I think I'll just double up on the
air to oil coolers in the front.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update

The Dodge Dakota arrived tonight. I drove it to the back of the shop and found a place to park it. I hope it is safe.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Pics of my Dakota --- found an electric fan behind the new radiator ---- full of surprises, huh?

·
Registered
355 Posts
nice ride

That is going to be one sweet ride with a cummins power plant
fire up the torch and start the cutting:)
did you get the 4bt fired up yet?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That is going to be one sweet ride with a cummins power plant
fire up the torch and start the cutting:)
did you get the 4bt fired up yet?
Put a new, hot battery in the step van this morning and the engine started right up. The shop guy said it sounded, "sweet".:D Then he showed me the Cummins Re-Con (re-conditioned) sticker on the side of the front valve cover.

Anyone know if a Cummins Re-Con engine would have had the KDP resolved?

After hearing the motor this morning, I got busy getting the motor "staged" to pull. At 3pm this afternoon, I was just too tired to keep going. What's still holding in the engine, you ask? The following:

Lower radiator hose
Two fuel lines

Yes, that's it. I have the doghouse out of the way, the heat\defrost metal air box, the seat, the driveshaft is disconnected, the hydraulic clutch reservoir was removed from the firewall and snaked down, and I forgot to take any pics when I quit working.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm not to sure on the recon KDP fix but it wouldn't be hard to check since you'll have
the engine out pull the timing cover off the front then if it's not fixed it won't be hard
to do it yourself.the later model timing covers were made different so the pin wouldn't
come out.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
No, the KDP fix wouldn't be done by Cummins or a recon Center . Cummins made the tab to fit it but never did a recall only as a note to watch for damages.

Scott

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Pulled the 4BT last weekend and didn't get the pics posted. Then I "sort of" strapped it to a crate. I had a younger guy help me remove the transmission before I pulled the engine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
heavy duty cherry picker

cool I like your heavy duty cherry picker:D
That is one nice Dakota you ended up with
buy the time I get done buying all the parts that were robbed off mine before I got it
I think I would have been better off to buy a complete driving truck like you got:(
keep us posted I'm excited about your build bounce
with it getting warmer here I'm having a hard time staying on track the honey do's
are starting to take over:(

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
cool I like your heavy duty cherry picker:D
That is one nice Dakota you ended up with
buy the time I get done buying all the parts that were robbed off mine before I got it
I think I would have been better off to buy a complete driving truck like you got:(
They are out there....just got to find them. Patience is a virtue...........sometimes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ya I know I've been planning this build for about 4 yrs now I was going to do it on my 93 xtd cab Ranger but the 4.0 just wouldn't die:D
that and I really didn't like how tight of a fit it would be and I've always liked the dakota trucks
especially 97 up
I guess I can't complain I only paid $350.00 for the truck it already had alot of stuff takin off I don't
need I sold the stock tranny and the two factory Dakota wheels and made my money back on the truck
so the tab is just from the parts I'm buying :dustin:
it is kind of fun to find all the parts to build the truck I have about all the Dakota parts I need
the only thing I'm missing is a faxctory chrome rear bumper
which is no big deal if I don't find one for the right price I'll just build one:)
I'm building my jig now to cut down my dana 60 fron't axle.
I'll post pictures on my build when I get it closer

21 - 40 of 282 Posts