Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not ready to start the physical part of this swap yet, but here is my plan and what I've bought already.

The donor is a Chevy P30 breadvan with the 4BT/Turbo 400. It has 149K miles on the motor, but the transmission was recently rebuilt. I would like to do all modifications to the motor while it is in the P30 van, just to prevent extra problems and time when I actually do the swap. The Ford Van will weigh around 6000 pounds when complete, and I plan to tow my Jeep and trailer, weighing another 7000 pounds max. So, I don't need a monster motor by any means, and I'm not even sure if I need to modify it. Suggestions welcome as I do not know where to start. This part of the project is ready to start now.

The Ford Van is one of a kind! It has 39K miles on it and it also has a pop-top. When it's driving, the top is lowered, when camping, it's over 6' tall inside. This thing is super clean and all original. I proposed to my wife in this van as well!

Hang on, there's more I want to do!!! I also have an all original 1974 1 ton Ford 4X4 Quadravan (same body style). I want to take the axles, steering and some blingin interior parts from the '74 and install on the '69. Here is the '74 Quadravan:

The end result will be a diesel 4X4 camper van/tow vehicle getting 25mpg. I plan on using the Turbo 400 with a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. I would really like to use an electronic transfer case so I don't have to clutter up the van.

Here are my questions:
1. How much engine modification is needed for the weight/aero package, and how would you suggest getting the power I need?

2. Will I have to beef up my Turbo 400?

3. I want A/C as well, which compressor do you suggest?

4. The van's engine bay is big enough for a straight 6 or a 302 V8 and it has a brand new 3 core radiator; do you see any issues with this set up?

5. Would you use the hydroboost brake system from the P30 chassis?

6. Can you think of anything I might need vacuum for? (cruise control?) My heater controls are not vacuum operated.

7. Should I use the motor mounts from the P30 if I can?

Thanks a lot guys! I look forward to gaining as much knowledge as possible here, and if there's any I can provide, please ask! I signed up for my star to help support the board.

Chris

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Very cool project!!

1. use the hyd boost.
2. use the p-30 engine mounts.

Engine mods.
1. Gov springs,add a little fuel if you like.
2. good flowing exhaust,3''
3. good air filter

Scott

·
Registered
645 Posts
Neat project, the 4BT should fit fine. I'm doing an F150 and will need vacuum only for the cruise control also. The later Ford diesels used an electric vacuum pump to run the heater/AC controls, I will be trying to find one of those for the cruise. It doesn't have enough capacity for the brakes so you'll still need the hydroboost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks!

These old vans are uni-body design and I assume I will need to beef up that area. Who else has installed one of these into a uni-body and how bad is the vibration?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey man! Good to see you over here.

I think you'll be fine with what you have planned.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
that is so cool, my long time girlfriend is drooling too! Could you post more pics of the pop top and did it come that way? Awesome...!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think this is all I have of that one. Yes, it did come like that, but Ford sublet the top conversion out before it was sold. It started life as a camper van but the original owner's son stripped the interior. You can buy these things in excellant shape for around $3500. Most likely it will have a 302, C4, and maybe power steering and brakes. Air conditioning is very hard to find. I like these old things because they're kinda cheap and definately not like everybody else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My last big van project started like this. Purchase price $150!

Engine bay...everything new and painted. You could eat off the firewall!
Whoops, different van, but this is how anal I get!

At this point, I had around $15K into it! New engine, trans, rear end, pretty much everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final product.

...and what it was built for (getting to MX races FAST!)

I was in a wheelchair for a couple years, so I built it while I had nothing else to do. The money came from selling off all my MX bikes, so I built the van and bought the boat and a Samurai! Living at home does have advantages.

I started racing again before I finished the interior. In fact, I drove across country twice on a lawn chair! I finished the interior when my leg broke again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For those of you who may not know, he broke his leg so bad it broke right off!

My wife is mad at you for posting the pics. :) I dig your vans, I'm missing mine right now. :( Vans offer a big, dry cargo area and room to sleep. Totally sweet! Diesel vans, even better!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those of you who may not know, he broke his leg so bad it broke right off!

My wife is mad at you for posting the pics. :) I dig your vans, I'm missing mine right now. :( Vans offer a big, dry cargo area and room to sleep. Totally sweet! Diesel vans, even better!
She has to like this one! This is at a track in Mexico.

Top of Lion's Back...

Might as well show you guys a couple more...then back on topic!

This is actually a different van than the one with checkers. This is the van that engine bay photo came from.

I have issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
She'll forgive you for the other pics when she sees that van on Lion's Back. I told her I'm MAKING her go up it. :)

Vans are just too cool. Now enough of this tangent and back to the practical matters of 4bt swappage. hahahahahahahahahah

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
wow that's cool.. I have a big monster '94 2WD with a high roof line that is super tough, big thick insulation, we made some curtains for it etc.. Unfortunately though am planning on selling it to fund more of the LC 4BT project (see sig below).. But I love it, y girlfriend / borderline wife (hopefully! :) ) is also super pro van, as well as all my buddies.. Had a couch in it, which my buddies also thought was cool... Here is a pic of it, bottom right corner...

Anyway, very neat! I love those old vans.. There is a Dodge in super clean condition from the 70's that would be pretty easy to do a swap in around here for $2800. Some day maybe :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
cool found a pic of the dodge.. Looks a little rusty but is actually super clean. Could probably get for $2500 if I am lucky.. Some day :)

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Emievil, I'm in awe-- not only do you build cool stuff, but to bounce back from being in a wheelchair all that time-- outstanding.

- and to take a van up Lion's Back. :0

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Emievil, I'm in awe-- not only do you build cool stuff, but to bounce back from being in a wheelchair all that time-- outstanding.

- and to take a van up Lion's Back. :0
Thanks JAFO! :)

I'm a little concerned about the Cummins slant (or tilt). In a van, the engine is offset to the passenger side pretty good, especially in the old ones like I have.

Most people use driver's side drop front axles because of this. The Cummins oil pan will be positioned closer to the pumpkin and I might have to go up higher with the van. I don't know if there is enough room for a passenger side drop because of where the engine sits.

I didn't want to go up too high with this. I guess I need to first install the motor before I worry about the 4X4 conversion. This will probably rule out a Dana 60, but I don't think a 60 is necessary in this application. The big brakes would sure be nice though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
put a driver's drop D44 in with some beefy componentry and be done with it.

As I understand it, the Cummins will want to slant to the passenger's side as is. Maybe you might have to cut on the oil pan and plate it a bit-- but for one with your skills, this shoudl be child's play

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Van-dalize the neighborhood

Don't worry about having enough ooommphh to get the van and your jeep down the road.... if it can move this thing... you should be on easy street.

And dont worry about being to anal...... more people here would be willing to eat off of my engine as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What kind of transmission will u use with the 4bt in ur econoline? and how will u deal with the noise and vibration?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts