Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically speaking... What I have gleaned so far is that most swaps into the 80 series landcruisers use the 700R4 and then attach to the stock LC case. So you maintain the AWD and have a clean console, maintaining the automatic shifter. I did see AA has an adapter for chevy(4BT) that mates it to the A442F tranny, but if I am not mistaken it is electronically controlled. I have an adapter now for a chevy to LC 4 speed and am considering using the H55F and the LC split case. I wouldn't mine using the stock tranny if it can be made to work. I don't plan on boosting power significantly. I have the FJ62 or the FJ 60 t-case as an option as well but don't know what mates to what. I also wouldn't mind having 2WD in the 80.
I checked out Veggie 80's rig but it is a 91 or 92, different drive train. I know one guy running the 6BT with the A440F (89 FJ 62) and it is holding up but he says it starts getting hot on steep pulls so he is putting an NV 4500. This is somewhat of a conservative build budget-wise and is in lieu of putting all of this work into a 60 which would be a lift, 4BT, H55F and stock case. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Kief.

·
Registered
454 Posts
why not use the 80 ser. gearbox ? they are a monster. i reckon they would stand upto a 4bt no worries. i know here you can buy small block V8 adaptors for them, so getting them in the states should be no drama.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not use the 80 ser. gearbox ? they are a monster. i reckon they would stand upto a 4bt no worries. i know here you can buy small block V8 adaptors for them, so getting them in the states should be no drama.
That is something I don't want to overlook.. I already have that. AFAIK Advance Adapters has them here in the US.. I think my tranny is electronically controlled.. can that be adapted?

I checked out proffit's, it looks like they have this down to a science but it isn't cheap that is for sure, not that it isn't worth what they charge..

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an FJ62 with an H55 five speed mated to a 60 series split case. It works great and is fairly easy to adapt via adapters from Marks. I think this is the easiest way to go with a land cruiser. All mechanical and no electronics.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was talking about the manual gearbox. not sure about the auto.
Argh... you guys get all the good stuff..

So if I need a clutch master cylinder, pedals and such are you gonna hook me up with the part #'s and used parts? ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an FJ62 with an H55 five speed mated to a 60 series split case. It works great and is fairly easy to adapt via adapters from Marks. I think this is the easiest way to go with a land cruiser. All mechanical and no electronics.
did I miss your build up thread? PICS?

I have a 60 that I thought about doing this with but the 80 has more seating, discs on all 4 corners...and too much elecric/tronic stuff.

·
Registered
454 Posts
did you seriously not get manual 80's in the states ? shit, we have turbo diesel 80's over here. both sohc and dohc versions. and yes, i will help you where i can.

·
Registered
115 Posts
did I miss your build up thread? PICS?

I have a 60 that I thought about doing this with but the 80 has more seating, discs on all 4 corners...and too much elecric/tronic stuff.
Here's a pic. I have discs on all 4 corners (easy upgrade).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts