Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what will i need to install a 4bt into a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 automatic? mounts and things of the like dont bother me all that much...i'm more concerned about mating the engine to the auto transmission.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
What auto do you have now?

Here is what I would do use a 47rh 94-96 these came behind the 6bt ,Dodge cummins engine adapter and flex plate .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now it has the 46re auro trans, i'd like to keep it if at all possible to keep costs down...ALOT

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
right now it has the 46re auro trans, i'd like to keep it if at all possible to keep costs down...ALOT
Lets see, I've got $7000 in parts into the repower on my 1980 Scout, and you want to keep the cost down. I guess you could go for cheap and then fix it when it breaks, and do it again. I hate to tell you this but repowering to a Diesel, especially a 4BT is not cheap, to do it right.
Take, for instance, your 46re trans, out of a gasser? The torque converter has a stall speed too high for the 4BT and HD 46re's have extra clutch plates to handle the low speed torque of the B series Cummins. Yes you can use all the gasser stuff but it won't be a good marriage IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if thats the case...i'd sooner just buy a 12v 6bt cummins for 8 grand and be done with it, then i know everythings right...and nothings rigged up. i didnt reallize it would take 7+ grand to install a 1500 dollar engine in a truck. basically i wanted to do this whenever the 360 shoots craps, but i think i'll just stuff another 360 in there...and do some mods to get the power up rather than spend that kind of money.
i worked at a dodge dealer as a line tech for a few years...theres no dodge auto that doesnt have a ton of money stuck in it to really handle what the 6bt puts out. which is why we had a full time trans tech to rebuild just truck trannys. i'd hate to put money out for a ticking time bomb(another transmission) to put behind the 4bt, and have IT go out on me too. they stuck 700r4's behind the 4bt...my suburbans 700r4 (fresh rebuild) barely held together with a meager 6.2 diesel in front of it...yet the 700r4's held up in the 4bt vans i assume? i could easily get a convertor for it, if thats gonna be the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I agree, buy a older 12v 84+ and be happy with it. I've seen adds on creigslist in Phoenix starting about $5K and up. So what if it's got 20000 miles, rebuild the trany and your good for another 200K.
The P30 van came with the turbo 475, a beffy turbo 400. The people here using a 700r4 are breakiing new ground installing them behind a 4BT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think thats what i'll do, i have thing for if i'm buying a truck with a diesel i'll get a manual....no auto trans/diesel *purchases*. i figured this might be a cool swap to do though with all the hopped up cummins runnin around here. oh well, it was the thought that counted i guess.
thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what will i need to install a 4bt into a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 automatic? mounts and things of the like dont bother me all that much...i'm more concerned about mating the engine to the auto transmission.
You can't mount the gas trans behind the cummins. The bell housing part of the trans is smaller on the gas unit. Dodge made two different trans cases, The shift point are also to high on the gas one. You would have to get a RH47 for the diesel. I found out the hard way stay away from RE trans, they have electric controled governor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts