Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....
I am new here. My first post. im 14, and am looking at cars to fix up. I can get a hell of a deal on an 94 civic, 5 spd, and was wondering if there is enough room for a 4bt? If not I hear it's common to do that with a ranger.
Would a 4bt have as much power as a 6.9 idi? I can also get a hell of deal on an 87 f350 dually (760 dollars) and was wondering about that perspective cause the 6.9 has NO power in that size of truck.
Thanks for reading over this,
Cole

·
Registered
494 Posts
Like the little Honda Civic that im thinking of? There would only be room if you removed the suspension and mounted the body on an S-10 frame. As far as power, they will tell you to get guages first then, you can make as much power as your civic can take.

Hey guys....
I am new here. My first post. im 14, and am looking at cars to fix up. I can get a hell of a deal on an 94 civic, 5 spd, and was wondering if there is enough room for a 4bt? If not I hear it's common to do that with a ranger.
Would a 4bt have as much power as a 6.9 idi? I can also get a hell of deal on an 87 f350 dually (760 dollars) and was wondering about that perspective cause the 6.9 has NO power in that size of truck.
Thanks for reading over this,
Cole

·
Registered
103 Posts
can it be done...yes it can...be prepared to open your wallet up and be frustrated 24/7 personally truck engines belong in trucks , not cars...that 3.9 will rip that little civic apart if it isnt built properly. you need a vehicle with a frame, not a uni-body

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
You should look into the smaller disel for the Honda project...such as the VW,or maybe a small Mitsubishi,or one of the ones in the Jeep liberty...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
maybe would be easier (and cheaper) to make a civic replica with a custom frame (or maybe try to adapt the 4bt and the civic body panels into a sandrail frame) and then you could try to fit the 4bt... have you already seen those drag-racing cars using fiberglass bodies and custom frames but resembling some production models (such as some rwd civic replicas fitted with honda v6 engines)? maybe something like this would be easier, but as expensive as adapt a civic to fit the 4bt... if you want a diesel civic try to find a volkswagen diesel to take the engine and transmission out and try to fit them into the civic...

·
Registered
327 Posts
What do you want? What is your budget? What experience do you have? These questions are a good start for any prodject. JLK

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dont worry about experience, if you dont have it, you have to get it somehow.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Nobody is going to tell this kid what a terrible idea this is? It makes no sense. No matter what the goal is, MPG, power, speed, etc, this is the wrong motor for a Civic in every way. Stock motor will likely do a better job in every category.

If you must have a diesel, look at a VW or something small.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
No 4bt in Honda. Too small. Need big suspension parts that are forged, not die pressed. The springs to support a 4bt will bend the poor little spindly Honda suspension. Would be cool to put a Honda body on a truck frame that is chopped and narrowed. Gearing is hard to raise in a Honda and you will need hgher gears, believe me.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Nobody is going to tell this kid what a terrible idea this is? It makes no sense. No matter what the goal is, MPG, power, speed, etc, this is the wrong motor for a Civic in every way. Stock motor will likely do a better job in every category.

If you must have a diesel, look at a VW or something small.
i told him the vw would be the easier way to get a diesel for the civic... he seems to be interested about power, so maybe a twin-turbo setup into a vw engine would be the best way for him... if he was interested just in a diesel engine just for commuting even a 34hp or 40hp kohler could be enought (wouldn't probably reach not more than 65mph for nothing in the world but i believe it could even have a reasonable fuel consumption)...

this 34.9hp (@3600rpm) 1.4L 4cyl could be reasonable
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KDW1404

or this 40hp (@3000rpm) 1.65L 3cyl...
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KDW1603

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well. Goal number one is MPG. trust me I dont want a civic. What would get me THE MOST absolute mpg? And, about power, I am curious what it would do in old f350 dually.
trust me I am not a ricer.
My tractor eats ricers as mid morning snacks.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
well. Goal number one is MPG. trust me I dont want a civic. What would get me THE MOST absolute mpg?
for mpg the civic would be an easier base as it's too much more aerodynamic and lighter than a larger and too much more square-bodied truck...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Making a 4bt a Front wheel drive would be a bit of work. Its a BIG 4cyl. The car will be much less aerodynamic with the barndoor sheet metal work that would be required just to cover it, if you could see the road. It is certainly possible to have a car that had a 4bt with a Civic body on it, but i think thats as close as you can get. I would go for an S-10 maybe build a diesel Typhoon or something. And one more thing.....at 14 you should be looking for an 800hp, smoking like a coal fired power plant, ground pounder. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Making a 4bt a Front wheel drive would be a bit of work. Its a BIG 4cyl. The car will be much less aerodynamic with the barndoor sheet metal work that would be required just to cover it, if you could see the road.
a fwd car with a 4bt??? the only ways i believe it could be doable would be oldsmobile toronado or a cadillac eldorado (just the longitudinally-engined ones, however)...

It is certainly possible to have a car that had a 4bt with a Civic body on it, but i think thats as close as you can get.
then, another question: would it REALLY worth the money? it would be expensive to build CORRECTLY, without some workarounds that could sacrifice the safety...

I would go for an S-10 maybe build a diesel Typhoon or something.
an extended-cab late-type s10 would be really cool with a 4bt...

at 14 you should be looking for an 800hp, smoking like a coal fired power plant, ground pounder.
when i was 14 my friends used to call me iron-fisted because i always liked diesel's fuel efficiency... after seeing some 4-tonner ford cargo trucks reaching 61mph with 150hp 4bt and eaton fso-4405-c manual 5spd transmissions with a 4.10:1 dana 480 i started to suppose it could be a good powerplant to a too-much-lighter and aerodynamic 350z roadster replica, and theoretically with the right gear selection i could reach 160mph...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys.
I think I am gonna go for an older ranger. Seems the easiest. And maybe a smaller perkins diesel, I beleive you could get a small turbodiesel in the beginning of the ranger. But still, the 6.9 dually is still an option.:eek:
But thanks for putting up with my n00bness

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
thanks guys.
I think I am gonna go for an older ranger. Seems the easiest. And maybe a smaller perkins diesel, I beleive you could get a small turbodiesel in the beginning of the ranger. But still, the 6.9 dually is still an option.:eek:
But thanks for putting up with my n00bness
My first car was a 84 F250 2wd ext cab LB with a 6.9 and auto, it was a good truck and got about 18 mpg. Not terrible for an old truck but certainly not going to save a whole lot on your fuel bill. The Ranger with factory diesel would do better, I think I've heard of numbers in the 30s. There's one for sale near me for $1400, seems fair.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts