Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing with my research and failed searches, what years were the on-road 4bt's produced?

I've been looking around and it looks like 1991 may be the latest year, or maybe its the last year it was in P30 vans. The reason I ask is when I plan to do this swap, I want to make sure the the vehicle it is going into is the same age or older to be legal (i.e. I'm buying the vehicle for the engine, not the engine for the vehicle).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I've seen and heard of them well into '93 easily.. The late 80's and about 1990-91 seem to be most common I've found though...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine is a Reman dated 1994. I'm putting it into a 1993 Suburban. I'm not worried about swapping it since MI doesn't have any kind of inspection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine is a 1993 recon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I Have seen 4bta's in 99 year MT35 frieghtliners. They did the ISB3.9 in 2000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So what I'm gathering from this is that a reconditioned engine will meet the emissions requirements from the date of reconditioning? So for example, a 1991 engine that was recon'ed in 2000 could now go into a 2000 (or older) vehicle rather than a 1991 (or older) vehicle and be legal??? Essentially the original date of manufacture means nothing if it's been recon'ed. I would not have assumed this to be the case.

Thanks for the feedback so far! :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts