Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I've had lots of problems lately. Deaths.. Cancer . & Lots of losses . So I've not been around .. My Problems not yours.
My 4BT Hasn't ran correctly in a year. & I fancy myself somewhat a Mechanic. But I don't want to give this report card to Momma.
... SO Guys .. MY 4BT .. Stopped running . I had a storied injection pump .. That I had checked out by the injection rebuilder in Abilene TX. HE SAID IT WAS FINE. So I put it onto my 4BT . cleaned the fuel system . It ran about 2 months fine.
... Then it began to only be driven about a mile & it'd die. Stop & let it set for maybe 2 minutes. Crank it up & go for 3/4 mile .. dies .... set for 2 minutes & crank it up again & go for 1/2 a mile... It'll die again .. Set for 2 minutes & It'll crank & drive maybe 1/8 mile . & die.
& It's on the floor. Crazy.
... I've had a helper with me as I'm long in the tooth .. He's had some diesel experience . Probably more than me .. I like helping kids . & He's a good helper. He & I work good together .
... But ... Now my 4BT WITH a new injection pump . New 24valve lift electric fuel pump .. a cleaned fuel tank . It won't run.
When it turns over it sounds like it a gas motor out of time .. & It doesn't start. 2 months ago if it spun over twice it cranked .
.. With this new injection pump It ran correctly for about 4 months . THEN IT BEGAN TO DIE AGAIN.
... WE'VE LOOKED FOR FUEL LINE LEAKS .
... lift pump blows fuel a foot. Or will pump a full stream into a 5 gallon bucket in a few minutes .
... Does any of this make since.. I work for a Freightliner satellite dealership . AKA Truck shop. In a couple of weeks I'm going to have one of our Mobil techs come by & take a look at it. But I still fell like we're missing some thing so oblivious.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Is this a P-pump.

Had a similar problem with my 4bt when it was still in the original bread van. Somewhere in the wiring between the ignition switch and the electric fuel shut-off solenoid, there was a bad connection. It quickly got worse. It only took me a few months to figure out the problem (I'm a retired electrical guy...).

I took one look at the E350 wiring harness and ran a new wire from fuse panel (power on the "RUN" side of the ignition switch) to the fuel shut-off solenoid.

Connect a jumper wire from the stud on the top of the fuel shut-off solenoid to the "+" terminal of the battery.

If it starts right up, we found the problem.

If that does not work, I am out of ideas.

Good luck,

Russ

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Thanks Guys ... This is not the P-Pump it's the other pump .. It's name has escaped me at this moment . Rotary I believe .

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
... Thanks Guys ... This is not the P-Pump it's the other pump .. It's name has escaped me at this moment . Rotary I believe .
The rotary is usually a VE pump - my 4bt has the VE pump. I have never been able to remove my solenoid - I just can not get a wrench on it.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
That is another possible issue with a defective start/stop solenoid. A change to a mechanical start/ stop can cure that but you have to get the solenoid out to gut it. Bad wiring like you mentioned can sure be a problem as well. Sounds like something electrical heating up and causing an open circuit. Not likely a timing issue since the VE pumps have key'd drive gear.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I can't see how it could be timing with this set up. & It ran on this setting for a month or so. So It ain't timing but that what it sounds like while turning over & Not starting .

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Another thing you might check is for a clogged fuel vent on the tank.This is most likely fuel related and you sort have to start eliminating things. Might also try installing a temporary jumper to the fuel solenoid and see if that might cure the issue. If it did, then you'd know the original wire was the problem. If it didn't, then I'd start thinking a bad solenoid. Have you verified that the electric lift pump is functioning? It could be cutting out and causing a shut down.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the lift pumps I think I've put 2 new ones on it in about 200 miles . MAYBE EVEN LESS..
i KNOW THAT SOUND CRAZY .. BUT I have one mounted to my Head Ake rack. Farm Use pump . It's hoked to a Nurse tank & I use it to fill tractors on the farm.. But If my 1st lift pump goes bad I can hook the fuel line to my Injection pump .
But I was not sure so I put a new pump on it also .. It's not the lift pump .. & It has a vented cap on it . I don't believe the tank os vented. & It ran great for 10 years under the old setup.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I repeat: Connect a jumper wire from the VE pump fuel **** off solenoid to the +12 Volt terminal of your battery. If it starts right up - you are chasing an electrical problem.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..If I can get back to the Bronco I'LL DO THAT TEST. That's a good one to remember .
... Is that what all the people mean BASICALLY .. When they same it only takes one wire for the 4BT to run.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be in & out over the next weeks ..
My 49 year old SON has cancer.. We're headed to the hospital this morning he's having a operation to remove the bag from his hip. They told him there is nothing else they can do for his cancers. Lung Liver & Colon .
He's a non smoker .. Ex 4 year college Baseball athlete. Avid Golfer . & Not a heavy drinker . Just **** happens sometimes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your son....

Try putting a gauge to read the fuel pressure between the lift pump and the injection pump while driving. Also a clear piece of hose temporarily so you can see any air bubbles. So many things can go wrong with a fuel system on the vacuum side - pre lift pump. Even a piece of leaf floating around in the tank, a piece of fuel hose with a dry crack or kink, fuel cap with a clogged vent, a little water or sludge you missed, etc....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Go be with your son, family comes first. We will be here when you feel like working on the engine.

10 Posts
I repeat: Connect a jumper wire from the VE pump fuel **** off solenoid to the +12 Volt terminal of your battery. If it starts right up - you are chasing an electrical problem.
Sounds like Russ is on the right track based on your description of diminishing run times - heat building up in the electrical coil holding the solenoid plunger back causing the loss of magnetic field. A good rule of thumb for diagnostics is to start simple and start cheap, check the basics first.

Prayers for you and your family

·
Registered
231 Posts
Papitt, so sorry to hear of your son! We feel your pain!! We lost wife's mother in 1989 to colen /liver cancer! Then 1&1/2 yr ago our 53 yr old son to a cancer at the base of his tongue it was stage 4 when they found it he fought it for 3 yrs 8 mo.
If it wasn't for Gods shelter in the times of storm, I don't know what I would have done, we will hold you up in prayer, also go to this web site www.sonlifetv.com
God bless

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
.. Well I'll bring you up yo date on the Son. They did get tp pul the Bag off But as they removed it .. They found more new cancer now in his STOMACH...
... nOW HE HAS IT in his Liver ... Lungs ... in his Stomach .. & In his Colon .. & His back is killing him like it's in his bones ... He's in trouble for sure. One Dr. has said 2 months & Another said up to 1 year. 3 More Dr. haven't said. He seems to be in better shape than 2 months can take over.
... Family & Friends are down to mostly PRAYERS .
... Yes the Bronco can wait but I do keep it in the back of my mind. I'm 70 & have been in the auto parts business since I was 17. & I do have a big farm . So I also have many more issues going on in my life. But nothing as large as my SON. I LOST ANOTHER SON BACK IN 1999. So I hate to think of going through this again.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thought I'd check in with you guys ... Son is a little worse than a month ago . He's going to try & take his 4 kids on a fishing trip to the coast next weekend .
I'm not to sure but more power to him . He into the pain management system.
.. I have another Mechanic friend that says he'll come look at the Bronco or 4bt. They work on 4BT's deck motors on a regular basic. But he'll come any time I think that Kens cancer wont be an issue .
..SO I may try while Ken is gone to coast . We'll see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts