Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt a 1993 Ve-pumped, CARB 4bt out of a bread van from the bottom up. It will run when you hold a gas soaked rag to the intake, and the pump appears to be in working order since i can visibly see fuel spay out when purging air(and i have tried this with 1 injector removed, which also sprays). By the books my pump gear should be set to "F" and it is. I recently re-gasketed the pump, and installed a new fuel cut-off solenoid. Here's where it gets weird. I get zero combustion on diesel, even though the injectors are working, and the pump is distributing the fuel as it should. I have played with the timing and turned the pump to advance the timing(towards the head) and even tried retarding timing too, but nothing will even give me a sputter. I have the stock fuel pin installed currently, and a 3200rpm gov. spring, with re-worked injectors(75hp). I have also tried aligning the factory mark on the gear case to the one on the pump. Please Help!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Do you now for sure it ran before you rebuilt it or did you never hear it run?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did not witness it running myself but the previous owner who pulled it from the truck claims it did at one time. i've seen the fuel spray from the injector since rebuilt so i know its making enough pressure for pop-off, but i cant seem to figure out the timing issue.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Is there any smoke or liquid from the exhaust?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how exactly would that happen, i'm not 100 percent sure, at the gear, or within the pump

·
Registered
109 Posts
It would be at the pump. the pump spins at half the crank speed. It is possible you timing it for #1 running mate not #1.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts